1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recommend a deep cut

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, May 16, 2011.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Aw, c'mon ... no love for a Vega?

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I have always maintained that the best Stones song that has not been beaten to death by classic rock radio (and there are a bunch to choose from) is "Sway". "No Expectations", "Stray Cat Blues", "Salt of the Earth" and "Jigsaw Puzzle" would be some others from the Beggar's Banquet days.

One that came over the iPod yesterday: "Brave Strangers" from Seger's Stranger In Town. Just love that song. "Makin' Thunderbirds" from The Distance would be another good, deep Seger one.

Some others off the top of my head: "The Ox" by The Who, basically three-plus minutes of Keith Moon attacking his drums with intermittent feedback from Townshend, and "Pure And Easy", from the Odds and Sods album.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

"Sway" is a good call, as is "Stray Cat Blues". Would also throw in "Loving Cup" from Exile.

For The Who, I'd offer up Entwistle's "Success Story" from Who By Numbers.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The Ox's "Trick Of The Light" from Who Are You is one of the Who's great hard rockers. Would have loved to hear what an in-prime Keith Moon could have done with it.

Some other Stones' songs I found on the old iPod: "Hang Fire", "Neighbours", "Little T&A" from Tattoo You. "Loving Cup" is a great Exile choice, I would also throw in "All Down The Line" and "Torn And Frayed". Another old-school Stones one: "Dandelion".

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

A lot of people missed that because the first side of the original album was one of the best album sides of all time. But that is a great cut.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Some more after farting around on iTunes ...

"When I Kissed The Teacher" - ABBA (gulp)
    "Please Let Me Wonder" - The Beach Boys
    "There's A Place" - The Beatles
    "The Ballad Of El Goodo" - Big Star
    "Have You Seen Her Face" - The Byrds
    "Oh Candy" - Cheap Trick
    "Stay Free" - The Clash
    "The Best Way To See America" - Lou Christie
    "Drive-In Saturday" - David Bowie
    "Man Out Of Time" - Elvis Costello
    "Off The Wall" - Michael Jackson
    "See The Sky About To Rain" - Neil Young
    "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" - Rolling Stones
    "It's Late" - Queen
    "Girl Afraid" - The Smiths
    "In Quintessence" - Squeeze
    "Found A Job" - Talking Heads
    "Rockin' Around (With You) - Tom Petty
    "Hung Up On A Dream" - The Zombies

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Don't know if they're considered deep cuts or not, but Dustbowl Dance and Blank White Page are two of my favorites off of Mumford & Sons' Sigh No More. In fact, the whole fucking album is a gold mine.

Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros.... Janglin. Up From Below is catchy too.

8. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Cheap Trick: "Downed" - pretty much the perfect example of the synthesis of big rock hooks and Beatlesesque melodies that Cheap Trick came to embody in their first three albums.

XTC: "No Language in Our Lungs" - it's still the highlight of "Black Sea" for me, and maybe Andy Partridge's best lyric.

X: "The Have Nots" - you can almost hear them exhaling at no longer having to be the standard bearers for whatever people expected the LA punk scene to be and where they were able to expand their sound to include more roots and straight rock.

The Replacements: "Little Mascara" - one of the three great songs of Side B of "Tim" and the one people mention the least.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I bow in the general direction of the last three posters. Nicely done.

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Anything Bruce Hornsby has released in the last 20 years probably qualifies :).

One that's stuck in my head: Moody Blues' "Vintage Wine" from Long Distance Voyager. Catchy song if you're in the right mood.

11. I suppose most of the bands I listen to don't have hits or singles, so saying there are deep cuts isn't really accurate. But I suppose these are a few songs I think are underappreciated.

At the Drive-In - Rascuache

ALL - Vida Blue (got a baseball reference onto the list)

Bruce Springsteen - Talk to Me

Bruce Springsteen with the Seeger Sessions Band - Bobby Jean (I didn't think it was possible to make this song better, but the Live in Dublin EP version gives me chills)

Dinosaur Jr. - I'm Insane

The Replacements - My Little Problem

Against Me! - Sink, Florida, Sink (electric version)

Small Brown Bike - Jailbreak (Thin Lizzy cover)
    No one has ever bothered uploading a video for this, but it's awesome

Steely Dan - Kings

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Eric Carmen - Boats Against The Current

Draft saved Draft deleted