1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recommend a deep cut

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, May 16, 2011.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Too bad all you whippersnappers have no taste in music. :D

2. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

The wired generation might actually have an advantage.

If someone hears a song s/he likes on a site like Pandora, which caters to your known taste, it's much easier -- and cheaper -- to find that track in the iTunes store. Also, the ability to carry one's entire collection in a pocket might encourage more music listening in general.

Does "Rocky Raccoon" count as a deep cut from the White Album?

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Some others:

- Off the latest Adele album - "Set Fire to the Rain"
    - A couple from The Gaslight Anthem - "Patient Ferris Wheel" from '59 Sound and "Boxer" from American Slang
    - "Many the Miles" from Sara Bareilles

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I'd yell "Get off my lawn!" ... but I don't have one (though I worked on one for a while today). Just you whippersnappers wait until I get one, complete with pink flamingos, a car rusting on cinder blocks and my jukebox filled with 78s ...

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Armworth, Mesmerization Eclipse and Raging River of Fear off Captain Beyond's self-titled album.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Brad Sullivan should have won an Oscar for best supporting actor. Most of his castmates had no idea he had recently become a devout born-again Christian and was agonizing over playing the role and delivering the lines he was required to speak.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

"The Necromancer" -- Rush

:D

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

"In the Time of Job When Mammon was a Yippie," Lucifer's Friend

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

"Southbound" - Thin Lizzy (is that good enough for you, TBGMYDHHGVSSDF?)

"Temptation of Adam" - Josh Ritter

"Rain" - Beatles (a SJ deep cut fave, I believe)

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Not bad. I'd add Black Rose, Lady Killer, Ballad of a Hard Man, Warriors, Spirit Slips Away and Massacre.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"Hitchcock Railway," from Joe Cocker's self-titled album.

"Ramble Tamble," from Cosmos Factory.

And two of my favorites: "Minutes to Memories," from Scarecrow. Not a mega-deep cut, but not one of the more-publicized sngs from that album, and "Hot Burrito No. 1," from the FBB's "Guilded Palace of Sin."

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Ooh, that reminds me of my favorite Gram Parsons song: Miller's Cave (actually a Bobby Bare cover).

Draft saved Draft deleted