1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recommend a deep cut

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, May 16, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Tonight, on Pandora, I heard Son Volt's "Ain't No More Cane," a Dylan/Band song from "The Basement Tapes." I was blown away, and shocked, as I had never heard it before, and had to go to Amazon to buy the MP3.

You should buy it. What should I buy?

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

This is what the iTunes generation will miss. Some groups aren't worried about churning out good albums, and those won't be missed. But others have some excellent deep cuts which don't appeal to a wide audience - or that's the perception, anyway - but they're excellent, sometimes much better than the high-profile tracks.

The trick is knowing what acts are good, and of those, what suits your taste.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I can't post links from this iPad, but YouTube Wilco's "When the Roses Bloom Again."

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

"That is a very deep cut."

[​IMG]

5. Sam Mills 51

KNEW this one was coming. Actually, it's one of the few G-rated lines he had IIRC ...

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Zeppelin: "Hots On For Nowhere," the next-to-last song on their least-acclaimed album, "Presence." Such a deep track that they never performed it live.

Stones: "Memo From Turner," technically a Mick Jagger solo song, but was included on "The London Years" and also made an appearance in "Goodfellas." Awesome slide guitar from Ry Cooder.

Beatles: "She Said, She Said," from "Revolver." Lyrics are based on a conversation John Lennon had at a party with a tripping-on-acid Peter Fonda:

7. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Taps toes, waits for Chef to post...

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm a huge Crowded House fan. In their early days they used to play a song live called "Recurring Dream" that I absolutely loved, but they hadn't released it.

Then one day I'm at the movies and they play a trailer for "Tequila Sunrise" with Mel Gibson and Michelle Pfeiffer, and there's a brief shot of them driving up the coast as the guitar riff from "Recurring Dream" played. I was happy as a pig in shit.

It was on the soundtrack, then later released as a b-side and on an outtakes/b-sides collection called "Afterglow."

Here's the only link I found to the studio version, which starts around :12 into the clip:

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

How will the iTunes generation miss this? I have plenty of favorite songs by artists that aren't "main tracks" on the albums I own.

Just a quick perusal of my iTunes brought me to "Paranoia in Bb Major" by The Avett Brothers and "Kreuzberg" by Bloc Party.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Speaking of Presence, the last track is "Tea for One." That version is great, but Joe Bonamassa's is better. It's up there with "Since I've Been Loving You" in the category of great blues recordings. Bonomassa's cover of Tull's "New Day Yesterday" also is better than the original.

11. Sam Mills 51

Because I believe that many of the iTunes generation will concern themselves with only the "hits" or "most popular' tracks. Seems that the albums - and I'm not talking about those large black vinyl discs - are becoming thought processes of the past.

There might be some exceptions to this thinking, however, such as you. I hope that's the case and I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time ...

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

My friends and I put together a top 10 albums each year and one of the more technologically advanced among us puts together a site online where we can stream all those albums. There are about 15 of us and that's just in my small group. There are plenty of others like us.

Draft saved Draft deleted