1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

reclusive genius turns down $1 million

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Reclusive Russian scientist solves some complicated mathematical theorem, then turns down the resulting $1 million prize.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100701/ap_on_sc/eu_sci_russia_math_genius

Topic of discussion - why do these prizes so often seem to go to reclusive people? The odd genius stereotype, mentally unstable in some way. John Nash also comes to mind.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

"It's the quiet ones you got to watch. I never understood that. Say you go into a bar and there's a guy reading a book quietly in the corner. Next to him there's a guy banging a machete on the bar yelling, 'I'm going to kill the next motherfucker who walks in here.' Who you gonna watch?" ~ George Carlin

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Well, he's sitting there, minding his own business, when he gets an e-mail from someone in another country telling him that he just won a million dollars.

Yeah right, like he's going to jump all over that.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hey, I've got $10 mill coming from the Congo next week. Just gave a guy my checking account number, he said it would be coming via direct deposit.

5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Shit, I solved that theorem a couple of years ago.

I didn't realize there was a *prize* for it.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm going to watch em both. The quiet guy might be packing and the loud guy may start swinging. Nowadays, you just don't know.

Draft saved Draft deleted