1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recess Appointments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It is what it is.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Another up or down vote being denied:

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

It's ridiculous that one Senator can shut down things down. Talk about tyranny of the minority.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Neither chamber can recess for more than three days without the consent of the other chamber.

Here's a primer on recess appointments.

http://www.senate.gov/CRSReports/crs-publish.cfm?pid='0DP%2BP%5CW%3B%20P%20%20%0A

5. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

And yet neither side will get rid of it...because they want the same right to be obstinate for political gain protection when they're in the minority.

6. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Either that or they feel they can hoodwink the middle class into voting against its best interests, as George W. Bush did in 2000 and 2004.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Menendez is a slimeball. (There, I said it.) But it's not a political move, it's personal. Nonetheless, still shameful.

8. Tarheel316

9. Tarheel316

I agree with that assessment on Menendez.

10. YankeeFan

He really is as slimy as they come.

I believe a President is entitled to a cabinet & advisers of his choosing. Short of corruption or incompetence (or maybe nepotism), the Senate should approve Presidential appointees, including judges. At the very least, they deserve a simple up or down vote. Elections have consequences.

Anytime one Senator blocks a pick, without having to even publicly state why, it is shameful. To use it to settle a personal grudge, should be grounds for expulsion from the Senate.

It's petty beyond belief.

As for the recess appointments in general, I think it's a good move by Obama politically. Now, keep in mind, the Democrats were the first ones to institute these "pro forma" sessions to block Bush appointments, and now they're the first ones to ignore them.

I think the press & punditry, along with the left, would have gone nuts if GWB had made this move. And, one day, a Republican President will use this move as a precedent.

I'm good with that. I hope everyone else is too.

But, Obama was wise to do it. To fight it will make the Republicans look small. On the heals of their fuck up regarding the payroll tax extension, Obama now has some momentum.

This will fire up his base, who was sick of his previous compromises.

He's now fighting an "obstructionist, do nothing Congress" on behalf of "working families".

11. YankeeFan

Menendez denies he's a petty, vindictive, asshole.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/71159.html

I'd say we should just add liar to the list of adjectives.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Absolutely. He will be pounding that message until Election Day.

Draft saved Draft deleted