1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recess Appointments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He ought to make recess appointments by the hundreds.

Make the Republibaggers get up in public and reeemphasize how utterly opposed they are to having the government function.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Some abuse it more than others. Believe this is BOs 42nd of these in three years in office.

You don't even have to ask who the modern champ is at playing this little game . . . (hint: his nickname among the cognescenti is Fredo).

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . after making a zillion during the first six years of The Regime.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The claim that the Senate is technically not recessed, given the convoluted GOP-conceived charade involved, doesn't pass muster in this corner.

The intent is clear. Too many GOP members of congress have comported themselves shamelessly for a few Koch dollars.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Obama needs to keep pouring gas on the fire, make it transcendently obvious the Republibags have no interest in the government actually functioning, and are in fact committed to prevent it from doing so.

6. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Congress should be in session for less time. The more Congress is in session, the more opportunity it has to screw things up.

And I actually applaud Obama for this move. About time he stood up to obstructionists rather than simply acquiesce. I don't think Republicans raised a stink when Bush II used a recess appointment to make John Bolton ambassador to the UN.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And in the case of Cordray, it's not about the qualifications of the nominee, whom even Republicans concede is suited for the position. It's about trying to usurp legislation that was passed by Congress and signed by the president in the manner prescribed by the constitution.

Strange behavior from a party that claims to encourage respect for the law.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

By the time this wends its way through the courts, Cordray's term will be up, so it'll be moot.

Since the GOP would like to have the same power when they get their guy in the White House in the future, I doubt they'll litigate this with any passion.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Obstructionists gonna obstruct ... with the payroll tax fiasco and them trying to protect the bankers in this deal, I guess they've figured out they don't need the middle class to win this fall.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Ding, ding. They could at least get rid of the silent filibuster. That would be a start.

11. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

If the GOP wants to make this a huge issue, they are going to look like the side that is a) blocking government by happening and b) fighting against having a watchdog to protect consumers against big business. If the running meme of this election is both sides wanting to be the one "fighting for the little guy," it puts the GOP in a no-win situation to do more than a cursory stamping of their feet about this.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's been pointed out to me that the Senate is still controlled by the Dems. So, why are they holding "pro forma" sessions?

I guess the answer must be that the Republicans can block a motion to declare a recess. Is that the case?

Draft saved Draft deleted