1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recess Appointments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 5, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't have a real problem with this move. The "pro forma" sessions are bull shit, and designed solely to prevent this kind of thing.

But, it is a pretty bold move on Obama's behalf, and there is a level of hypocrisy, given his previous position on the issue when he was a Senator:

And, of course, Republicans are blasting the move, with McCain, among others calling it an abuse of power:

http://thehill.com/video/senate/202499-mccain-blasts-obama-recess-appointments-as-abuse-of-power

So, is it a big deal? Do the courts ultimately get involved?

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Interesting political move, which I kind of like. Even if the courts ultimately say he can't do this, he's still gets to a) position himself as fighting for the middle class and b) bash Congress for its continued gridlock.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Most presidents who were legislators seem to have been against imperial presidencies until they're in charge.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think the courts will be reluctant to intervene. I mean, the Senate majority could just get rid of the filibuster and end this crap on its own, but the world's most useless and horrible legislative body won't do that until there's a Republican majority that wants something.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The Senate is not doing its Constitutionally mandated job, thanks to an obstructionist minority. As a result, dozens of Federal judges have not been confirmed, and dozens of other positions, like this one was until yesterday, are not filled. The Senate is required to vote yay or nay -- but instead, they are simply being blocked from voting.

Good on Obama for finding a way to do the people's business.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Ding, ding, ding...in other words, the filibuster rule will be gone by February, 2013.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Both sides do it, both sides when in the minority bitch up a storm about it.

More Washington bullshit.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The solution to this is a simple one:

The Senate should never go into recess.

Especially in this age of instant communication, there's no reason why the Senate (or the House, for that matter) needs a month off in December (yeah, I know, they're working at home, blah, blah)

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I sure hope the Republicans turn to activist judges to right this injustice.

11. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Guess a fair up or down vote doesn't mean that much to Republicans after all. And recess appointments are allowed precisely because the founding fathers knew that the check of legislative oversight needed a check of its own. That's why it's in that constitution thingy that they all claim to sleep with a copy of.

Draft saved Draft deleted