1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recent sports journalism ethics cases?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by The Computer Says No, Mar 24, 2008.

1. I have to do a presentation for an ethics class at my former university tonight, and I wanted to give some examples of some major sports journalism ethics cases from the last five years or so. If anyone could jog my memory and name some, that would be superb. Thanks in advance.

2. David Panian

David Panian New Member

Mitch Albom and his Michigan State column.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

John Canzano of The Oregonian taking a paycheck, for his radio show, from Trail Blazers owner Paul Allen.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, there's that whole APSE thing that led to a lot of discussion here.

5. Mediator

Mediator Member

A few issues, big and small.

The track writers at some NY papers taking money from NYRA to cover the horses. The betting window in the track press room. Writers getting their kids credentialed for sporting events. Filip Bondy refusing to allow the USTA to do a background check as a prerequisite for a badge after 9/11.

The Duke case.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Writers taking money?
    We know this how? We have a link?

The betting window has been discussed before, with solid opinions on each side. Betting on horses IS legal.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Writers taking money from the NYRA and NOT plunging it at the press-room windows...now that's unethical.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Awesome.

Returning to the old college brings back so many things, including, apparently, the procrastination.

The Washington Post ombudsman's piece on the Masters reporters' pool might suit what you need.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/40450/

9. Yup, never lost that skill for procrastination unfortunately.

As for the Duke case, was there one major journalistic ethical dilemma involved? Reading up on it, I could probably talk about that case for hours, but was it just the general frenzy, or the fact the media seemed to declare the guys guilty at first before doing a 360-degree turn, or the fact they relied way too hard on Nifong?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I missed the Masters reporters pool. I was afraid -- for a minute -- that Dave Kindred was doing a pool on who would score the worst on the Monday golf outing.

11. Mediator

Mediator Member

I think the Duke case brings up all those things: to print the woman's name, the players', how to play it on the page, the power of the press. Not that there needs to be a right or wrong with each tenet, but that it taps into a lot of issues and emotions and would serve as a good springboard in a classroom setting.

And last January, Newsday ran this:
    "A bankruptcy filing early this month by the New York Racing Association names Newsday’s Paul Moran along with other area horse racing writers as unsecured creditors. NYRA was paying fees to writers in exchange for appearances on its TV network during last summer’s Saratoga meet.

A NYRA spokesman and Moran said his appearance was based on the stipulation that the money be given to the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation, a charity dedicated to saving thoroughbred horses no longer able to compete.

However, these actions are against Newsday’s conflict of interest policy. Any involvement of Newsday reporters or editors with organizations they cover raises questions of fairness and objectivity and are therefore inappropriate."

12. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

How about printing the accuser's name? I know a couple local papers did that.

Draft saved Draft deleted