1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recent Grad

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by atrain084, Sep 23, 2008.

1. atrain084

atrain084 New Member

I am finishing up my master's in sport management at East Carolina University. I was wondering if anyone had tips to help break into the industry. I always hear experience, but even when I apply for entry level positions I get rejected, what's the deal? Any tips?

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If you're looking to break into sports management, this is the wrong web site.

If you're looking to break into sports reporting, please click this link from our Journalism Topics Only forum: Questions for a journalist.

3. atrain084

atrain084 New Member

I was referring to sports writing - sorry for the confusion. Thanks!

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Did you write for your school paper?

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The correct answer is RUN! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE! HEAD FOR THE HILLS! DON'T LOOK BACK! RUN DAMMIT RUN!!!

6. Yeah. Don't bother unless you like hypertension and food stamps.

I'd suggest going into the elder care field. It's going to be a huge industry in 5-10 years.

7. Jbrown1450

Jbrown1450 New Member

Do what the rest of us under-25 sports reporters do: Build up experience in any way possible, eat Ramen, get another job where you can actually make some money, drink cheap beer, apply at all kind of jobs, get over rejection quickly, complain a lot and try to enjoy what you're doing at least once a week.

So far that's kept me sane.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm not telling you to run for the hills, but why do you want to go into writing and not sports management if you went to school for six years to pursue that type of career?

My tips, though. Get on as a stringer for the local paper covering any sport they'll give you. Write a few features, preview, season wraps and gamers, and you should be able to get a job at some of the weekly papers that post openings on state newspaper association Web sites.

Expect to be paid about $20k/year for your experience. From a small paper, you can move up every few years, but don't count on it either.

9. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Run away, quick. A master's in sports management can enable you to do so many other things other than reporting.

10. amen brother

11. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Most people get the master's as a way to get OUT of this business. You're doing it wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted