1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rece Davis to host GameDay

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BDC99, Feb 5, 2015.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

ESPN trades one colorless automaton for another. At least neither has a harassment or arrest on his record.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Would be nice if Brent would do the Thursday night games now, but it sounds like Joe Tess will move into that spot.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

A smart move by ESPN.

Herbstreit can do the GameDay and the night game because, as an analyst, you just have to offer observations.

What a play-by-play guy has to do is also offer the observations but hit the commercial breaks clean, get the promo reads done and, essentially, play traffic cop on both GameDay and the game itself.

Now... if Fowler is just as bland and buttoned up in 2015 when he's doing the evening game on ABC, that's on him. He has no excuse now for what has been a subpar PbP offering so far.

Rece Davis is a good guy, very knowledgeable. Still surprised he's made it that far with that accent.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

or got shot down in Iraq

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But can Fowler change? I'can't think of a play by play guy that has changed their style. it seems like you
    are what your pipes say you are.

One of problems Fowler has is that the previous lead ABC college football announcers( Keith and Brent) were such iconic broadcasters
    with distinctive styles. It makes Fowler seem even more bland that he is. Maybe 30 years from now if he starts drinking a lot of rye
    and smoking no filter cigarettes he'll develop an iconic voice.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Question: How much PBP had Fowler done pre-WWL? Always seen him as a studio guy, dating back to "Schoolastic Sports America."

7. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I briefly said hi to Rece and shook his hand once, about a decade ago. Tall dude. I and one of my college buddies had classes and worked together with his sister, Tiffany. We were all pals in the communications building at Alabama. My buddy married her after we graduated. They've got a couple of kids now. That's about all I got to contribute to this one.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Rece has a little oomph and edge tonight.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I really liked Fowler on GameDay, and I think he and Herbstreit do a solid job of not getting in the way of the action too much. But GameDay is mostly about the signs and Corso's headgear choice, plus more Tom Rinaldi play. I think Rece will step in fine.

10. LowellThomas

LowellThomas New Member

I don't know,...I always enjoyed watching the Saturday night games with Ron Franklin and Mike Gottfriend.

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I doubt I'll even notice.

Draft saved Draft deleted