1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rec softball gone too far

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Kevin Morales, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

That's what shooting middle is for ...

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

What you've got is a bunch of guys who get shit on all week at work, who have to sit there and take it, getting their outlet to yell and threaten and generally be idiots.

I'd say better that they do that then to go home and act like that to their wife and kids ... except I'm pretty sure a lot of them do that, too.

3. the_dome

the_dome New Member

Oh, certainly. In addition, we've played entire teams whose strategy consisting of taking as many walks as they could to get so they could score cheap runs.

One guy didn't take the bat off the shoulder for his first four plates appearances.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Pathetic. I HATE walking in softball, especially in rec leagues. If the ball's near the plate, I'm a-hackin'.

5. the_dome

the_dome New Member

Absolutely. Even if it's 3-0, I'm swinging, sometimes just to get another pitch. Hit the frickin ball people!

6. Flash

Flash Guest

They also use it as an opportunity to find some stray ...

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Albany, is it?
    As in New York?
    Yet no regional humor
    go figure

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Very true. And in my experience , it gets really annoying when the goof off teams don't know the rules and argue with the umps left and right during a game with somewhat serious players.

And it's really bad when the umps aren't consistent or know the most basic of rules, like interference or the infield fly rule.

I'm 50-50 on the baseball pants rule. Two guys on my team, both dead serious players. Both wear them, but one's a complete jerk and the other is cool.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Seeing a thread for Rec Softball only brings memories of my weekly newspaper days back. It was a great space filler and always featured such great names as the Psychotic Phlegm and my personal fave, the Fightin' Amish.

10. Just reminds me of the two categories of umpires/referees: The ones who when they showed up you said, "Thank God," or the other ones when you saw them and said, "Oh God."

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Brawl at the ballpark, part 2,563 ...

Last night, August long weekend tourney, A/B team playing some soups. Soupie pitcher keeps tossing low and outside, giving A/B no choice but to hit the ball ... up the middle. Beast at second takes offence. Except he doesn't go after one of the big guys on the A/B team, he goes after A/B's 50-year-old pitcher. One of the A/B guys, however, managed to tackle Soupie Beast before he got to 50-year-old pitcher.

Neither team was tossed from the tournament but a few guys were sent to the beer gardens early.

Only in slo-pitch, I say.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What's a soup?

Draft saved Draft deleted