1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rec softball gone too far

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Kevin Morales, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Softball is fine if you have good players who are serious about it.

Or it's fine if you have not-so-good players who are out to have fun.

If you mix them, it's no fun. Too many people blow their tops.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

I can't wait to see it.

An excellent summation.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If I'd been on that other team, I would have informed the purple team that there's no damn way I was showing up the next day to play one out just because they couldn't keep their mouths shut.

Yeah, I probably would have had a punch thrown at me in that situation. :)

4. Joel_Goodsen

Joel_Goodsen Member

I will say one thing -- if you think softball is out of control, try playing in an adult flag football league, where you have all the same ridiculous over-the-top wannabe's (the ones wearing eye-black and nike high tops and chewing sunflower seeds) only they are wearing doo-rags (and that is not a racial statement, even the white guys sporting mullets think that wearing a doo-rag makes them cool and tough) trying to get their adrenaline rush by knocking each other's heads off!

I played one season of flag football and that's when I realized it is possible for people to have a negative IQ....

5. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I umpired all through junior high and into college and now look back at the shit I took from parents, that at the time seemed like no big deal, and think, "these idiots were talking to a 14-yo?"

I've gotten less and less serious about softball as the years have ticked on, and now just pretty much don't give a shit and play on a city league team. I stopped wearing pants three years ago, but still slide ... just too damn competitive.

Had an umpire last week who was brutal and belligerent about it ... it was almost like he was making bad calls to dare guys to say something to him. It's a playoff game and at one point I come to the plate and say, "You gonna smile tonight? We're having fun out here, right?" Umpires make all the difference and they don't even have to be great ... just minimally competent, confident and decent human beings and a good sense of humor helps.

Oh yeah, out here in rural Idaho, I'd say damn near every team has some numbskull wearing "69." It's usually the guy who last saw female genitalia on the day he was born.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

During tournaments that have rec teams among comp teams, it's like they opened up the gates to the 10 nearest trailer parks and handed everyone a glove and a pair of cleats.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I used to work with a woman who played co-ed softball with her boyfriend. Another woman told me she went to one of the games, and the boyfriend blew his top and yelled at the girlfriend in public because she overran a base or something.

Not long after, I ran into him in a supermarket and, sure enough, he was wearing baseball pants and cleats. I didn't mean to, but I sincerely could not help cracking up pretty much in his face.

8. the_dome

the_dome New Member

On par with baseball pant guy, though, is the team that runs up the score to pad their own stats.

In my league, which is supposed to be the most "noncompetitive" one of the bunch, Good Team A kicked the crap out of Bad Team A 66-2 in five innings last week.

Talk about being Bush League....

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

fixed

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Nothing like when these moron "players" coach girls' softball teams and put their "A" teams into "B" tournaments.

Fun, fun stuff.

I'm amazed there aren't more homicides.

11. Joel_Goodsen

Joel_Goodsen Member

And let me guess, there were guys on Good Team A who can hit the ball a mile who were standing around waiting for walks even though the score was 40-2 in order to preserve their batting averages.

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Oh man -- to me, even keeping stats is equal to pantswearing.

But then, I've never played in a softball league where at least half the fielders didn't have to put down their beers before making a play.

Draft saved Draft deleted