1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rec softball gone too far

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Kevin Morales, Aug 2, 2007.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I'm guessing the plate ump called the runner out because he was running inside the base line and thus interfered with the 1b catching the throw.
    Looked border line, but not a call that "sucked" according to the team at bat.
    Didn't seem like the ump did a very good job of making his point on the call, but pretty weak just to walk off the field. Shoulda been more like, "30 seconds and this game is a forfeit, get your butts in the dugout and gimme a hitter.''

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Speak the truth, my brother!

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Old? I can name three coaches within 10 miles of my house who still wear them...

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

Oh shit.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You, Chef? Really?

Let me rephrase then ... the guys who play in the coed rec league here who wear baseball pants are always douchebags of the highest order.

I told the story here about the guys on the verge of run-ruling us. They bang the ball off the fence and go one base, trying to set up a grand slam chance for one of their bombers. I walked him, forcing in the game-ending run just so dude wouldn't get the chance to hit. All the guys on that team were wearing baseball pants and eyeblack.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

He did blow that call though, FWIW.

I like how the team said they should have been thrown out first. Like THAT would have solved it. Then the old ump would have been beaten.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

NO...not me.

Just struck up possibly the most bizarre softball scene in history.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Just so's ya know ... one of the associations up here demands teams wear matching pants for the provincial and national championships.

And because all of the big boys around here wear them, the more rec teams follow suit.

9. Inky_Wretch

If you're playing on an open level team, okay. But if you're in a beer league, you don't need sliding shorts, a cup and baseball pants.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Showed up to a game and one of the guys on the other team was decked out ... head to toe, Jays uniform.

Then there was the guy last week who was wearing hockey shin guards underneath Blackhawks socks. (We sometimes stick around to watch the lower levels play for entertainment purposes.)

Of course, they all swing the $400 bats for the mighty 20-hopper back to the pitcher and then call the bat crap.

11. Inky_Wretch

As a pitcher, I've thought about wearing my soccer shin guards during games since some of the baseball pants crew think hitting it up the middle is the easiest way to get on base. I'd take a ball off the shin or ankle at least once a week.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

I don't ever mock a pitcher for protecting himself. I know guys who wear full face masks and helmets.

Draft saved Draft deleted