1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rebounding

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tom Petty, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

I believe there are many of us who care about the folks who are getting bought out, forced out and laid off. I wanted to start a thread so guys/ladies could "talk" about how they're rebounding from a terribly shitty situation.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I learned to bake bread, picked up a few hobbies, did some freelance work in a field that interested me, and generally enjoyed my time off. Then I took an inferior job for less pay in a less desirable location.

3. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Already feel better. Appreciate it Rick.

(Only kidding).

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I love the idea of this thread, because it's so thoughtful. And, it's something that we all either need, or need to hear.

But...

Honestly? I haven't rebounded.

I've simply done the best I can to survive, and hopefully, keep my career alive, in a bad situation that I don't want to be in, and in some bad times that have gone on for way too long.

That's not to say I haven't done anything worthwhile. I have. But I'm certainly not doing anything better than I was, or anything that I would ever choose to do if I weren't being forced to do so by my situation, and economic need, and a desire to at least to do something.

I've tried to be positive. I have been positive and proactive most of the time, and productive for much of the time.

Still, I can't really say that it has made all that much difference to my situation/harsh reality. That's the really scary thing about all this.

What I have done that has made me happy and helped me feel better is to try to focus on myself more than I used to, and make some changes toward a more healthy lifestyle. I also have continued to try to reach out to others, whenever the opportunity arises.

I've found that connecting with others -- in a time when that can be difficult to do, either because of your circumstances and/or your bad frame of mind -- is the best cure for falling into an emotional abyss.

Well, check that. It's not really a cure, but it gives you -- and hopefully, somebody else, too -- a little bit of first aid.

Even if it does little to help your career.

Rick hit the nail on the head here. It's a tough time out there, no doubt about it. Anyone who thinks losing all these journalism jobs is tantamount to new freedom or fresh opportunity is in for a rude awakening, unless they are fortunate enough to have the financial/economic resources and wherewithal to withstand a lengthy period of uncertainty.

Because that's what we're in right now.

5. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

i'm taking a break...

doing two things before hitting the job market:

1. traveling as much as possible, by my self-imposed deadline of May 1, i will hopefully have visited 11 or 12 states. (done 7 so far and i'm going to spring training in fla this week with my pops, first real trip with him in a long, long time).

2. seeing my favorite band -- lucero -- play as many times as possible. three so far. hoping for three more.

then, back to work. somewhere. most likely, anywhere and doing anything.

6. Wallace

Wallace Guest

Great idea TP. I know there's been a few times this site has really helped pick me up after a rough patch. Hopefully this thread can do that for those of us who may be facing some tough times.

Hang in there everybody.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I nuked myself out of two jobs in a relatively short span for non-professional reasons. Ended up in an area where the media wasn't a strong point.

Not sure I've recovered from being out of the business. I work with terrific people who come across as fully understanding The Golden Rule and, while that means a great deal to me, it's not sports journalism. Got lucky and moonlighted at a print publication for a spell before the economic grim reaper knocked on my door and kicked me out.

This other job is now days and no weekends - supposedly just one holiday a year. I should be grateful given the lousy economy, but the job and general situation are Noah's classic definition of "soul sucking." Understanding that life is what one makes of it, it's not easy.

And I'm one of the lucky ones.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm just very thankful I found myself looking when I did. If it had happened a year later, I'd be in the middle of this mess. And there are no jobs right now, step down or not.

9. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I know a thing or two about rebounding!
    [​IMG]

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

In my current town, not many people are hiring. The mall is half-empty and even the Arby's down the street went out of business. (Nothing like going out for a sandwich and finding out the place you once frequented is no longer in business.)

So I've been doing some freelancing for the company that laid me off (decidely mixed feelings about that) and basically chilling. If it weren't for UI, heaven knows where I'd be. lots of major metro areas are hurting, too, so even if I relocated to a larger city, there's no guarantee I'd find something.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, I wonder how Ted Bernhardt is rebounding. (He's the ref above, no longer in the league.)

Draft saved Draft deleted