1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rebounding statistics

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bmm, Dec 23, 2009.

1. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Every shot can only have one rebound, but MUST have one rebound.

Every turnover IN THE FLOOR (or jump ball resulting in change of possession) can only have one steal.

Some of those stats are ridiculously inflated.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

So when Player A has possession of the ball on say, a rebound, then gets tied up by Player B, Player A gets hit with a turnover and Player B gets hit with a steal? I disagree on the steal because Player B didn't steal the ball. He tied it up and the possession arrow changed possession; you wouldn't give Player B a steal if he tied Player A up and the arrow was in Player A's favor.

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I wish I had a rulebook nearby so I could clarify, but I always give Player B the steal. He forcred the turnover when he forced the held ball. Otherwise, why give Player A a turnover? He didn't lose the ball; someone else just gained possession of it simultaneously.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

That doesn't make sense. If the shot clock expires, there has been, by definition, no shot.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Correct deskslave. That would be a turnover -- shot-clock violation.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A ball comes off the rim, player A leaps above a gaggle of opponents and swats/throws the ball back right to a teammate, who catches it near the top of the key.

Who is credited with the rebound?

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Tim Tebow.

8. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Couldn't you have an air ball just before the shot clock violation? By rule the clock doesn't reset.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Guy shoots, shot clock goes off with ball in air, shot is air ball = turnover.
    Guy shoots, air ball, teammate catches it, shot clock goes off before he can shoot = missed shot, off. rebound, turnover.

10. crimsonace

Everything has to be accounted for, and a change of possession on the arrow is a turnover.

In the scenario you describe, Player A gets a rebound and a turnover, Player B a steal. Player A clearly has possession for a rebound, but the change of possession must be accounted for. Any turnover in the floor (e.g., not a violation or out-of-bounds) has to have a steal.

Another scenario ... Adams shoots, Allen and Brown tie each other up going for a rebound. Rebound goes to whichever player's team has the arrow.

In the NBA, where they jump it up, the same rules hold. Rebound/turnover/steal go to the player whose team wins the tip.

11. crimsonace

According to the NCAA stats manual, if the person who does the swat/throw intentionally directed the ball to a teammate and was the most responsible for his team getting the rebound, then he gets the rebound.

12. occasionally

occasionally Member

What I was referring to is a situation where a shot was taken and didn't hit the rim. The shot was before the buzzer but no one touches the ball until after the buzzer sounds. Obviously, if the shot is attempted after the buzzer goes off, then it's no shot/rebound and only a turnover.

Draft saved Draft deleted