1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rebounding statistics

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bmm, Dec 23, 2009.

1. bmm

bmm Member

When I cover a game, I try to keep the basic stats like points, rebounds, assists, steals, etc.

I was covering a game night and someone asked me if I counted dead ball rebounds. From what I understand some teams do and don't. I count rebounds after a player gets a possession of a missed field goal - rather offensive or defensive - or missed free throw. Is this correct?
  2. occasionally

occasionally Member

Yes, you're correct, but to make sure you "balance" - in other words, all missed shots equal all rebounds - you should also count team and deadball rebounds. Brief definitions:
    Team rebounds are awarded to the team who gains possession after the shot when no player gains control of the ball before (a) it goes out of bounds or (b) a foul is called. Also, a team that misses a field goal attempt at the shot-clock buzzer that doesn't hit the rim is awarded an offensive team rebound and a turnover.
    Deadball rebounds are awarded on missed free throws when there is no opportunity for a rebound (1st of 2, technical foul, intentional foul) or on missed field goal attempts at the buzzer.
  3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

How about team shoots, Player A has position, Player B goes over the back for a foul. Does Player A get credit for the rebound or is it a team rebound?

And another one...

Player A shoots and is blocked cleanly by Player B. Player C catches the ball. Does Player A have a shot attempt? Does Player C have a rebound?

1. I would give Player A the rebound.
    2. Player A has a shot attempt. Player C gets a rebound.

I may be wrong, but that is how I used to do it.
  4. spnited

spnited Active Member

1. Unless Player A possesses the ball before the foul, it is team rebound.
    2. Yes. Yes.
  5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

50% isn't too bad.
  6. spnited

spnited Active Member

The Steelers agree :D ;D
  7. crimsonace

crimsonace Active Member

Deadball rebounds are one of those stat-geek stats largely used to keep the rebounds balanced (e.g., all missed shots must have a rebound).

Generally, the only times there are deadball rebounds is when someone misses the front end of a two-shot FT, or someone misses a shot and the buzzer goes off before there can be a rebound.

Not sure how it's ruled if a player is fouled after the shot on a missed shot, but the whistle blows when the ball is in the air (I believe it's a shot attempt and deadball rebound to offensive team).

A team rebound is when a live-ball rebound goes out of bounds or a foul occurs during the scramble for a loose ball. It is a legitimate basketball statistic and is usually put in boxscores, as it does account for change of possession. Deadball rebounds generally don't, and are almost never seen in a newspaper box.
  8. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

Deadball rebounds do not go into team totals. It's just a balancing number. Team rebounds do count in team totals. It's just as well for a team to get possession after a missed shot because it went out of bounds as it is for someone on the team to actually grab the rebound.
  9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Honest to god, one of the teams in our area insist that every player that touches the ball even if he/she doesn't gain possession of it gets a rebound.

11. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

High school girls coach in our area calls in a game a few days ago. I forget the score, but she had her team with 65 rebounds and the other team with 64. In a 32-minute, regulation game ... there were 129 missed shots?

We have some bad girls basketball here, but they're not that bad. And these teams are not capable of running the floor fast enough to jack up that many shots.
  12. bmm

bmm Member

^ Which is why I like to keep my own stuff. Tackles in football and rebounds in basketball can be severely inflated. I had a game where a kid was credited for 35 rebounds - probably every time he touched the ball after a miss, even if he didn't control it. I had him for 19.
Draft saved Draft deleted