1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reasons No. 999 and 1,000 why XM rules

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Rick Dees, I believe, lives now in central Kentucky -- maybe an hour away from Lexington. Not sure if he still has an LA radio show, but for some time, he was broadcasting it from his Kentucky home.

Dees also has been a spokesman for Lightyear, a Louisville telecommunications company. Still hear the spots on the radio from time to time.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was THE WORST late-night show ever. He was so bad he made Magic Johnson and Chevy Chase look like Carson and Letterman.

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

70s AT 40s run on Weds. at 10 p.m., Sats at noon
    80s AT 40s run on Thurs. at 10 p.m. and Suns at noon.
    All times EDT.

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I caught AT40 on XM a few weeks ago for the first time. Classic.

Sirius does a weekly 80s countdown from a particular year. Also, classic.

5. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

American Top 40 is great (caught a '70s edition recently and laughed my butt off at the cheesiness)
    And had Sirius in a rental car this summer.... caught the 80s countdown one Sunday afternoon.
    Hosted by Nina Blackwood, of all people (the show afterwards was hosted by Martha Quinn).
    No.1 was Milli Vanilli - "Baby Don't Forget My Number."
    Awesome.

6. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Remember AT40 always makes me a little whistful. Sunday would start off with the 40 and cleaniing up around the house as my parents tackled bigger projects such as painting the basement steps or something ... then the Browns came on and, since it was pre-Bernie, they were terrible ... then the Cowboys were on late, then 60 Minutes ... and then it was time to do the homework, go to bed and get ready for school.

I HATED Sundays when I was little. To this day, I half-hate 60 minutes because it reminds me of school.

7. Can't forget about ch. 202 ... great channel to listen to when you're driving around.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Also, XM is repeating that IT show they did where they played every song that ever charted from the 40s up to the present day. Takes like two weeks to finish.

They were on 1974 today. Something definitely oddball when you hear the insipid Ray Stevens' The Streak followed by James Brown's Payback.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Rick Dees is about to be back on LA radio. LA's only country station switched formats to something called "rhythmic adult contemporary" (J.Lo, Gwen Stefani, Britney, and other lame tripe mainly targeted at soccer mommies) and he's supposed to be the new morning guy.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Stations still play J.Ho?

Draft saved Draft deleted