1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reasons for thanks, even in this business...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WriteThinking, Nov 26, 2009.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Frederick was probably shocked -- SHOCKED -- to find out AFTER he entered the newspaper world that newspapers published every day of the year, meaning their employees worked every day of the year. He's double shocked to find that NO OTHER FIELD IN THE WORLD requires people to work on holidays.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

But did you get a nice pat on the back and a "job well done" from your higher-ups? Cause we all know that's the number one priority.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Glad to see somebody who is respected on here backs me on the scum theory. Some people on here act as if we should be doing backflips just because we have a job. Guess what? Most of us give our companies way more than we get back in return. Let me ask most of you who are in the same boat as myself with pay freezes for the second straight year. How long will you accept NO RAISE IN PAY before you get out of the business? This is getting ridiculous. Two years with no pay raise? Thanks for backing me on the scum thing. Now that newspapers have gotten away with it for a year or two, I see no reason for them to ever give raises again. It's pretty sleazy even for newspapers.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, Frederick, considering that my sister, who has been in the travel industry for as long as I've been in newspapers (40 years for those who are counting), not only didn't get a raise but got cut from 40 hours a week (5 8-Hr. days) to 28 hours (4 7-hour days) because business sucks, and considering that my brother, a teacher at a Catholic high school in another state, got laid off just before qualifying for a full pension, I'm quite content to work 5 or 6 more years at my current livable wage -- more than my sister or brther ever has made -- until I retire with 2 pensions (from 2 newwspapers), Social Security and my own IRAs etc.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd get out of the business tomorrow, Freddie. Problem is finding another job with a similar salary.

In case you haven't heard, lots of unemployed people out there and few job openings, especially for folks with writing/editing/reporting skills.

6. Fredrick

Sorry to hear all that, spirited.
    I guess in many instances this is an American national workplace problem. It certainly is disgraceful that those who do have jobs no longer get rewarded the way they've traditionally been rewarded, through pay increases. I do know some industries are doing well. I have a buddy who just graduated law school and got hired for over 200,000 starting salary and he pretty much has what would be deemed a grunt work job in the law industry.
    I still think there is enough money out there to reward the employees working with 5 percent raises for goshsakes. I know of 3 newspapers that have added top dollar management positions while not giving any raises to the reporters, copy editors the last couple years.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Good for you spnited. Sorry for the siblings.
    Frederick, I know this business sucks and I know you get off railing about it, but try to stay somewhat positive. It's not all doom and gloom.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

No managers in sight at my place Friday either. It must be nice to be a higher-up and not to have to work for a living.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

A few years ago, I became good friends with an aspiring writer many years younger than me. He got his first freelance gig via my recommendation and has since soared up the food chain. The other day, he penned a breaking story that has been picked up nationwide. I take absolutely no credit for his ascension, he would have gotten to where he is today even if I'd ignored him seven years ago. But with my career remaining moribund, it makes me feel grateful to have at least had a positive impact on someone else's career.

10. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I'm thankful that I get to do what I love for a living. Even if it's surrounded by disappointment and frustration, I still love getting up and going to work everyday. A lot of people don't have that.

11. Fredrick

Why? I'd assume because it's in your blood and you are basically working to satisfy yourself not the greedy employer.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Man, this workers of the world unite business can be a bit much sometimes.

And your bosses will thank you for working Thanksgiving day when you receive your paycheck.

Draft saved Draft deleted