1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reasonable expectations in college football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake_Taylor, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

A-fucking-men to that, my man.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Groh actually had UVa on the level it should be for quite a while before he alienated almost every high school coach in the state. There's no reason the Cavs can't win 8 games a year and be in a bowl game annually.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The more interesting question would be

At which schools in BCS conferences is it completely unrealistic to win with any consistency?

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

With no research whatsoever, in order of decreasing dire-ness...

Indiana
    Duke
    Northwestern
    Kentucky
    Wake Forest
    Vandy
    Wazzou
    Illinois

I'll defer to closer observers of pretty much any of these programs, although I've got a pretty good handle on Duke and Wake.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I wouldn't necessarily include Illinois, but would add Iowa State and until recently Baylor.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I suspect Baylor will go back to being the Bad News Bears after RG III is gone.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Really, with the modern scheduling convention of almost all top-tier BCS schools playing 4 knockover cupcakes for nonconference games and then an 8-game conference schedule, the bar has been lowered -- you can go 3-5 in conference year after year, and if you still beat the cupcakes you go 7-5 and go to a bowl game.

Of course, if you are really a 7-5 caliber team, you lose some of the cupcake games, too.

8. Mizzougrad96

I've never understood why Illinois has so much trouble fielding a competitive football team.

I think if Vandy moved to the Big East it would start going to bowls on a semi-regular basis. It's got to be tough to have high academic standards and have to compete in the toughest conference. You could say the same thing about Stanford and the Pac-10, but Vandy doesn't have a tenth of the athletic resources that Stanford has.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Everyone who had a national championship before 1999 had a shared title. Have you seen how many god damn polls there were?

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Northwestern is respectable again. Over the last 10 years I would have them above the following teams in their conference: Minnesota, Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, and if you take out this year, Michigan State.

11. Mizzougrad96

Colorado-Georgia Tech
    Miami-Washington
    LSU-USC
    Michigan-Nebraska

Isn't that it for the last 30 years?

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I understand Wake being on that list above but the Deacs have won an ACC championship and generally been pretty good under Grobe. The tree may be bare for all I know. Still one of the more remarkable coaching jobs. VT, FSU, GT and ***** Wake are the ACC champs since the expansion.

Draft saved Draft deleted