1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reason to worry?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 23, 2015.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Soccer is not low participation anymore. It's probably the toughest team to make in middle school.

The others are good thoughts, though, but the big sports are already going to have developed players by middle school.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Evil, if your son likes the outdoors, he'll like Scouts, if not, not. But if a kid likes Scouts, it's a great setup, because by definition the kids who stick like it too, so they have a common interest base for friendships.

3. BUMP ...
    Took No. 1 to his first scout meeting tonight. His friend was there to greet him, started introducing to the other kids and showing him around. I talked to the scout leader, young guy, who's big into high adventure stuff. They're planning a winter camp in a few weeks.
    I come to pick him up and hour and half later and he can't shut up about scouts and the things he can do (hiking, camping, canoeing, caving), learn (fire-starting and knots) and carry (machetes and hatchets). He's pretty stoked.
    He told me he was planning to quit until he got there. Not he can't wait to get his handbook and get started on his badges and go back next week.

Iron_chet, dixiehack, Ace and 9 others like this.
  4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Excellent news, Orville. Very glad to hear it. Looks like you nailed it, but there might be times where he is discouraged. Now it's time to teach him not to quit, if it comes to that.

I absolutely wouldn't be where I am today without sport that taught me teamwork and how to interact. I was not outgoing in school ,but I was very much so on the athletic fields. It helped me tremendously, but it's not for everyone.

Football? Really? maybe in the case of areas where young kids don't play, but in my area we started playing at 7 years old, so by 7th grade I had been playing for 4 years or so. You could play a non-skill position as a walk-on, but unless you're naturally athletic, it's going to be tough to adapt to catching/throwing the ball. But even though I played all my young life, I don't think I'd let a kid play contact football these days.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Really glad to hear the meeting was a success for him.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And I wasn't meaning to imply that he is likely to get bored with it, but the excitement will probably wear off. But it's great that he has a friend there already, and hopefully he will help him make others. Sounds like that's already happening. Very cool.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Badges are great. So are notches in bedposts.

8. Oh yeah, I think the shine will wear off, but I think he'll enjoy some of the work and activities.

9. So chicks dig badges?

We did NOT attend the same high school/college.

Vombatus likes this.
  10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Well, after a certain age, you don't need no stinkin' badges. Just need good pick up lines, like: Excuse me while I whip this out.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

We don't need no stinking badges! I knew one guy who made it to Eagle Scout, and they announced it on the PA at my high school. He was a good friend and I thought it was cool, but I also was a bit embarrassed for him. I'm a jerk. :) I didn't really know anyone who was in the scouts after elementary. Just wasn't my thing.

Vombatus likes this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The fat chicks in college dig them. [cross-thread]

In all seriousness, Evil, good for your boy.

BDC99 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted