1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reason to worry?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Some of the best advice I've ever heard:

SFIND likes this.
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's the nicest thing you've ever said about me, Sunny!

3. We signed him up for basketball a few years ago. He played for two years and lied it. He wasn't any good. He wanted to try out for the school team. I said ok, but cautioned him he need to practice. He didn't. His grandfather went so far to concrete our driveway and buy a hoop. He didn't make the team. He also didn't want to play rec league anymore. Next year when his brothers continued to play, he wanted to coach.

He likes being outdoors. I don't think Scouts would bother him. He likes to to camp and do outdoor things. I think he would enjoy it. Moreno if I was involved and engaged with him.

I appreciate the advice guys thanks. Keep it coming.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Sorry you're having these concerns, Orville. I'll only add one thing from my experience.

When my daughter was in ninth grade and having academic problems, she was prescribed for ADHD meds. After three weeks of seeing her in zombie-like form, we took her off those meds and got our kid back. The cure was worse than the disease.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Basketball may be the hardest sport to make in middle or high school. I was never a big wrestling fan until my son did it, but I would highly recommend it for sons or daughters if they are willing to put in the time, effort and get beat up every once in a while.

Generally great kids. Lots of confidence. Reinforces good eating habits (if you want to drop weight during the season, you have to do it gradually). You also get to learn about several types of skin diseases.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'd pursue the outdoors thing if I were you. I have a cousin who wasn't really involved at all in school activities. Just kind of a guy who marched to his own beat. He was heavily into outdoors stuff, though. Wore Hawaiin shirts with fish all over them to school every day. Took up archery in middle school. (His 7-year-old daughter is an archer now). Turned out to be completely well-adjusted. Married. Two beautiful kids. Still essentially the prototype lumberjack.

I guess what I'm getting at is that it doesn't have to be a school-sponsored activity, even though American parenting and educational culture is obsessed with that. Just something to be passionate about.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Evil presented this in context with him being alone at school, so that is how I responded. Though you get bonus points for suggesting unique wardrobe choices.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  8. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

I would echo that you not overlook this regardless of what your wife says. I'd rather be wrong that have regrets. Sorry I don't have any specifics (though Scouts sounds good), but it sounded significant enough with your family background that I thought I'd add my two cents.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Seventh grade is sort of late for sports because a lot the kids will be years ahead of him. He might be a touch late to start scouting as well, but that might work.

Figure out what he likes and go with that. A musical instrument would work.

Are there any clubs at his school for him to join?

Does he like computers? Is there any way you could get him into coding or learn more about it?

Is joining a decent sized church an option? They have youth groups.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seventh grade is not late for sports like cross country, wrestling (if you join a club team you'd be way ahead by high school), maybe soccer and other l0w-participation sports.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not to mention football. Maybe things have changed, but my high school was always an area power, and won a state championship, and we didn't start until seventh grade. In fact, the program was widely admired for starting us on learning the high school schemes in seventh grade. That was considered really early.

Baseball and golf, because they are so skill-based as compared to athleticism-based, seem like the sports that it is good to begin early. Maybe soccer, too, before you realize that it actually sucks.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

True. I didn't start wrestling until I got to high school. It did wonders for me, and got me a scholarship. There's not really that much to it besides being in good shape.

Draft saved Draft deleted