1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reason no. 9,310 why I am buying XM/Sirius

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

There was some women's basketball this year, but not as plentiful as the men. No baseball or lacrosse, though. They also had the Big East men's basketball tournament, but I don't think they're getting the regular season.

2. WS

WS Member

my team's in the SEC, which is why I have SIRIUS. I don't care for Stern, but it seems like the XM sports options are better.

Regardless, since I listen to more of the music, ANYTHING now is better than regular radio

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

A pathetic, hypocritical old man beating to death the same topics he's been beating to death for 20-odd years?

4. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

I have absolutely zero clue how this whole satellite radio thing works, so I'm not sure I understand this argument.
    I know this. Sirius had about 500,000 subscribers when stern signed on. now it has about four million, a total that continues to grow.
    at $12.95 a month, that equals $621.6 million. since stern has a five-year, $500 million contract, they've got about $520 million a year to play with, prior to advertising revenue and equipment sales, right?

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Here's a question before we do subscriber math.

I'm an XM guy. Three radios. Second two are half price

Am I one subscriber with three radios or do they count me as three subscribers?

If I'm one, they're getting 26 a month out of me. If I'm three, they're getting 26 a month out of me. Lots of people have multiple radios so that cuts the revenue considerably if they count every radio as a subscriber.

6. wlw22

wlw22 New Member

If you haven't listened to Stern on satellite, you have no idea what you're missing and just assuming it's the same old show from K-Rock or "E!." Keep thinking that. His show now is still adult-themed but with very few boundaries -- and it's strictly for adults. If you're squeamish or easily offended, go listen to Bob and Tom or Oprah and AintFunny on FreeFM.

I will just continue to listen and do the same thing every day: Laugh and be entertained.

Sirius and Howard rule!

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They're also paying the NFL, the SEC, the Big 12, some other schools, the NBA, Arena Football, the CFL and NASCAR. Add on to that pile of outlay yet more payout: music rights fees, appearance fees, fees paid to other programming sources (CNN, the Weather Channel, Fox News, NPR, ESPN Radio, &c), salaries and benefits, and so on.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You're also discounting the fact that Sirius will soon have to put up two more satellites to service its national audience at $200M per launch.

A growing network? Great, but it'll cost you.

In the meantime, XM is holding its own with not nearly so much capital outlay. I also believe XM has more terrestrial repeaters and also has a lot of its music channels on DirectTV.

(EDIT: I KNOW DirectTV has those music channels because I get them. I heart Fred.)

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, again, I think you're going to find music channels you love on either. Let's face it; that's easier to produce.

Stern? Just not my cup of tea. Never has been, and don't need to hear the "new" Howard; I just don't like him.

Big XM seller for me is having the three sports-talk stations right there, back-to-back: ESPN-Fox-Sporting News. And XM's own baseball station has its good points, too.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

XM earnings per share: -3.06.

Yes, that's a loss. Last August it was trading at 37.31 per share; now it's going at 13.60 per share.

11. Sly

Sly Active Member

So I think I want to get XM ... I want to get a nice receiver, but I don't want to break the bank? Any suggestions?

Also, I see a lot of them work on the frequencies on your car radio stations ... Please tell me they work better than the iTrip on my iPod ....

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I have the original XM SkyFi, with the boombox for home use. no complaints, absolutely love it. The SkyFi2 is all the rage now. I'm guessing it'll run you about $175 for the receiver and car kit, and another $100 for the boombox if you so choose.

Or you can go with any of the smaller ones.

Unrelated note:

Sirius users: does the network carry the home broadcast for all 32 NFL teams? Or is it just the home broadcast like XM-MLB?

Draft saved Draft deleted