1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reason no. 8,310 why I love Mike Leach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I'll try to explain the pick of McGee as best I can -- and so all my cards are on the table, I was born and raised on the Aggies, even up here in Alberta.

First of all I was very surprised McGee was chosen as early as he was, I figured he'd go sixth or seventh round because of his injury riddled senior year. But he does have the tools and measurables at 6'3 and 220 lbs.
    He also had the production until his senior year. Considering he was miscast in Francione's option offence he still averaged over 200 yards passing a game in his sophomore and junior years with a less than impressive receiving corps, including posting victories over the Longhorns in both seasons. His senior year was a wash due to a torn labrum suffered early on, but at the same time learned more of a pro offence under Mike Sherman.
    The guy is also a tough SOB and a strong leader and showed several times the ability to carry his team to upset victories.
    With McGee at the helm the offence was rarely a problem with the Aggies, their defence, however, has been huge problem ever since RC Slocum was let go, and is largely why Francione was fired before this last season.
    If he is in a passing offence prior to last season or at a brand name school, chances are he would have been more widely talked about among the big QBs in the Big 12 heading into last season.

Again because of his injury I expected him to be a late round pick. But I am not entirely surprised he was picked. I would have been surprised if Harrell was picked. McGee will be a project for the Cowboys. He will hold a clipboard, barring injuries, for two or three years. Romo is settled in for the next several years unless he completely shits the bed and Kitna is in place for the next two, I think, as his back up. By the time McGee is ready, it will depend on if Romo has actually won in December or the playoffs if he will actually get a fair shot to challenge for the No. 1 job or if he will be dealt. But he's a nice project in the meantime.
    Someone else pointed it out, if McGee was a longhorn or sooner, Leach says nothing. But because he was an Aggie Leach gets the courage open his yap. The fact he made it personal and then acted surprised when he was called on it by Sherman and McGee, is a load of crap.
    As much as I don't like Tech, I can actually stand listening to Leach, great interview and usually without coming across as a pompous asshole. However, this time discretion may have been better served. To me it comes across as sour grapes because he can't produce an NFL ready quarterback.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

"Open" at Texas Tech most assuredly ain't "open" in the NFL.

Production can be woefully overstated.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Having once covered the Big 12, I can tell you ... Leach is absolutely, off the chain, awesome. He is a breath of fresh air in the League of Political Correctness.

4. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

But the simple fact that ANYONE could look at Mike Crabtree and Darius Heyward-Bey and think that DHB was a better pick makes it ridiculous. Regardless of what system the two were a part of in college ball, Crabtree is far and away the more talented of the two.

As Cris Carter said: Darius Heyward-Bey didn't catch the ball in the ACC, and you expect him to catch the ball in the NFL?

I don't think DHB is that bad. I do think it's that bad that DHB had a better combine and workouts and thus went ahead of Crabtree. Of course, it's the Raiders.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

DHB and Crabtree will givw strength to the rule that you shouldn't pick a reciever in the Top 10 -- DHB will be a bust and Crabtree will be the exception that proves the rule.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

DHB should have no bearing on that rule due to the team that drafted him. He's not a Top 10 pick to begin with.

Draft saved Draft deleted