1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reason no. 8,310 why I love Mike Leach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Apr 27, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

if they go through all the quarterbacks available, they're bound to find one who can perform

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Mike Leach is right. None of these guys know what the hell they're doing. Everyone uses the combine and these pro days to make up their minds, and it seems like the games themselves are meaningless. Now obviously there are going to be some exceptions, but for instance, it seems like Sanchez shot up the draft board after people watched him throw the ball around in shorts to receivers who weren't covered. As if what he did at USC wasn't telling enough.

And Mangenius is anything but.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Remember, the NFL was the same league that sat around and debated taking Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning.
    Scouts fall in love with the numbers. The combine warriors have been around since the start of the draft and Mike Mamula being one recent and notable example. He is far from the only one though.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I don't think you'd have a problem with that if you were getting the money he's getting.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, the counter to that would be Jevon Kearse. Wasn't considered a superstar at Florida, stood out at the combine and was the goods.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Sammy Morris is probably second on the list. I tend to agree with Leach, though, on Crabtree.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The draft, like all sports drafts, isn't about figuring out who the best pro will be, it's about identifying the lowest risks in relation to team needs. The safest bets are determined by measuring a player against those enjoying current success in the league (body type, quantifiable skills etc.). Scouts and coaches need to back up their opinions with facts. The days of "going with your gut" are done (outside of Oakland). I agree with Leach though, I can't think of one key play Matthew Stafford made, I can think of a few that Harrell did.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

"Backing up their opinion with facts" is a nice way of saying "covering their asses with conventional wisdom."

9. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Leach loves to gig the Aggies but his comments about McGee were a case of "mind your own business, coach." You don't hear Leach making snide comments about UT or OU because those teams regularly kick his ass. He feels like he rip A&M because the Aggies have sucked for most of the time Leach has been in Lubbock.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Crabtree and Harrell were lucky to have a coach that will still go to bat for them after they are gone.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Good stuff - agree with Leach that Harrell should have been drafted. As far as Crabtree goes his ESPN story did him no favors. I do think though he will be a great pro in the right offense.

Surprised Rylen Reed was not drafted.

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

On a related note, I wonder what Leach's "summer project" is. After last year, I wonder if the government contacted him for his expertise on pirates. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted