1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reason No. 6,632,445 to not trust Wikipedia

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I was considering a point for the APSE thread, lazily Googled it and clicked on the Wikipedia link. Someone had edited out Albom from the list of Red Smith Award winners and inserted Ken Tremendous from Fire Joe Morgan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Smith_Award

No doubt the person who did it believes he's absolutely hilarious.

And now someone obviously will edit the list, thus rendering this thread moot. But not really.

People who use Wikipedia get what they deserve. I was a moron for clicking.

I failed to remember this:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2005-11-29-wikipedia-edit_x.htm

I may post that link once a year, just so people remember.

And this is the source Lynn Hoppes steals from.

2. BlackBerry

BlackBerry New Member

Eh, I see where you and others who share your opinion are coming from. But, by and large, I think Wikipedia is a very useful tool. I'm not saying people should use it as a reference point or be citing it, but of the millions of pieces of information on the site, I'd say an overwhelming majority are accurate.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Trust but verify.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I see it's been fixed. But it was either that way for a long time or there is an ongoing game of cat and mouse. Point stands that it's dumb to use this source.

http://deadspin.com/5645335/and-the-2010-red-smith-award-goes-to

5. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

"Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want, so you know you are getting the best possible information"--Michael Scott.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Verify, trust, copy, paste.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Here's a little better argument on why or why not to trust Wikipedia:

http://thebubblechamber.org/2011/03/can-we-trust-wikipedia/

8. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Wikipedia is a very useful quick reference on subjects you already have a passing knowledge of, and as a starting point for additional research. I do find its increasing use as a single source face-to-desk-worthy, but it's like any other tool. It has its place. It's the idiots misapplying it that are the problem.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I do some mentoring. No kidding, I've had kids ask how to source Wiki (and YouTube) in footnotes.

I've also graded law school exams that used it as a reference.

10. As a young writer, I use Wikipedia a lot as a historical reference for events or to research. Hear me out.

Frequently, I'll be looking for more context on an event I don't know much about. A big game in the school's history, a famous play or player, etc. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to Wikipedia and found dozens of helpful links in the footnotes about whatever it was I was looking for. Links to old newspaper articles about the event. Past media guides that reference the event.

I think it's a huge tool when you use it like that. To me, it's a directory to more reliable sources of information on a given topic.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Some jackass switched it back.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

What Thomas said. It depends on what you're using it for.

Draft saved Draft deleted