1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reason No. 1,456,748 Not To Be A Prick On A Message Board ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Another reason not to feed the trolls. You might run into this guy ...

Associated Press
    ELM MOTT, TEXAS - A sailor who got mad when someone mocked him as a "nerd" over the Internet climbed into his car and drove 1,300 miles from Virginia to Texas to teach the other guy a lesson.

As he made his way toward Texas, Russell Tavares, a weapons-system petty officer, posted photos online showing the welcome signs at several states' borders to show his progress.

When he finally arrived, Tavares burned the guy's trailer down. The damage was in excess of $50.000.

This week, Tavares, 27, was sentenced to seven years in prison after pleading no contest to arson.

The feud started when John G. Anderson, 59, who runs a haunted house near Waco, joined a picture-sharing Web site and posted his artwork and political views.

After Anderson blocked some people from his page because of insults and foul language, they retaliated by making obscene, digitally altered pictures of him, he said.

One of the people with whom Anderson traded barbs was Tavares, investigators said. Tavares boiled over when Anderson called him a nerd and posted a digitally altered photo making Tavares look like a skinny boy in high-water pants, holding a gun and a laptop under a "Revenge of the Nerds" sign.

Tavares obtained Anderson's real name and hometown from Anderson's Web page about his Museum of Horrors Haunted House.

Tavares would not let the feud go even at his sentencing. According to police, Tavares took cell-phone photos of Anderson in the courtroom. Authorities ordered the photos erased.

Anderson, a former Marine and Vietnam vet, said he continues to be harassed online and found bullet holes in a door to his business.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

So we have a haunted house, a sailor who may or may not be a nerd in high-water pants, a burning trailer, and bullet holes in the door.

This is what happens when you discss the Ignore button.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice last line, but SO not where I thought you would go with that

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

21, slappy, you are both such NERDS!

[Running from my trailer]

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My current tally stands at 34,359 Internet badasses who have vowed to track me down and kick my ass.

I think I'm gonna rent Comerica Park and charge admission and sell beer and hotdogs while they're waiting in line.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Sauronseye is from Virginia?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Quick. 21. Split up. If we're apart, he'll never find us.

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Anybody heard from DyePack lately?

9. He just emailed me a picture of the "Welcome To South Carolina" sign ... should be at your house in the next few hours ... ;)

10. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Jeez, this only makes me think what some posters would do.

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

If someone comes looking for me, they're gonna have one of two surprises: one that is 33" long, black & made of ash and the other is a nifty piece of steel manufactured by these two guys named Smith and Wesson.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

make a video while they were burning down your trailer ... and then drive to the bay area and discuss it in their parents' basement?

Draft saved Draft deleted