1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reason 8,00,000 Jesse Jackson is a blackmailer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, Jul 5, 2006.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Mr. Horton, props for using "jeepers creepers." I giggled. :D

2. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

he he ... that's about the worst cursing I do these days ... that and "dadgum" and "flippity gibbits."

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'm pretty ambivalent towards the war in Iraq and it may come to the point where I fully oppose it, but if I do, the only way I'll ever stand 100 percent behind Cindy Sheehan is so I can make rabbit ears behind her head.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Or to make a Sheehan sandwich with Jesse Jackson [/poindexter]

5. Do I have to go back and find what was said contemporaneously about people who are now considered icons of public protest?
    MLK and his women, for starters.
    Whoremongering bastard.
    You find reasons to hate the messengers when the message gains traction. Very old story.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

So you are OK with Jesse blackmailing corporations into giving his family a distributorship and payments to the Rainbow Coalition even if the message doesn't get fixed?

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

lol

8. poindexter

Still nothing better than Jesse talking about big oil:

Driven by greed, “Just greed galore,” said Jackson.

9. poindexter

Hey Fenian and Dooley, make sure you do your part and HONK when you drive by an Arco or BP.  That'll sure drive the gas prices down!

Jackson Leads Anti-BP March Near Refinery

By KRISTIE RIEKEN
    The Associated Press
    Wednesday, July 5, 2006; 8:02 AM

TEXAS CITY, Texas -- The Rev. Jesse Jackson brought his protest of BP PLC to the site of one of the state's worst refinery accidents Tuesday to speak against what he calls price gouging, discriminatory hiring practices and unsafe working conditions at the company.

He led about 100 spirited followers on a march in front of BP's Texas City refinery, where 15 workers were killed and more than 170 were injured in an explosion last year.

The Rev. Jesse Jackson and the local Rainbow PUSH Coalition supporters rally in front of the British Petroleum Texas City Refinery Plant in Texas City, Texas, Tuesday, July 4, 2006. Jackson visited the site of one of the state's worst refinery accidents Tuesday to continue his protest against what he calls price gouging, discriminatory hiring practices and unsafe working conditions at BP PLC. He led about 100 followers on a march in front of BP's Texas City refinery, where 15 workers were killed in an explosion last year. (AP Photo/Johnny Hanson) (Johnny Hanson - AP)

Partnership

"We are going to engage in direct action against BP to change their behavior," Jackson said. "They need to stop energy exploitation, stop manipulating prices and undercutting the American people."

Late last week federal investigators said that traders at Britain-based BP cornered the U.S. propane market in the winter of 2004 to manipulate prices, which drove up heating costs for rural consumers.

A few days before that announcement a group of black leaders led by Jackson and the Rev. Al Sharpton announced a boycott of BP. Jackson said BP was chosen as a target for the boycott because none of its upper-level executives are black and there are no black owners among its hundreds of U.S. distributors.

"If you see an Amoco or Arco station, honk your horns and keep driving," he told the cheering crowd.

BP said 1,535, or 24 percent, of its officials and managers in the United States in 2005 were minorities, including 614 blacks. Thirty percent of new hires from universities the past two years were minorities.

"I would say that diversity and inclusion are part of the corporate DNA of BP," company spokesman Ronnie Chappell said Tuesday. "Two distinguished African Americans" serve on BP's global board, he said.

"We see having a diverse work force as a competitive advantage," Chappell said. "That extends beyond race to gender and sexual orientation."

Chappell said rising crude prices were the main force behind higher gasoline prices and were out of the company's control. "When it comes to crude prices we are price takers, not price makers," he said.

During Jackson's speech and the march, which was abbreviated because of a downpour, protesters held signs that bore the logo of Jackson's Rainbow PUSH Coalition and said things like: "BP Safety Hazard, Honk for Lower Gas and Honor Civil Rights." Some chanted "Safety" and "Lower gas prices."

Jackson discussed the deaths that occurred in the blast and said he doesn't believe the Texas City refinery is safe, despite a fine of $21.3 million after the accident by the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration for violations of its rules.

Marchers included people from the United Steelworkers of America and others in the community who are concerned about safety inside the plant.

"I'm here because I don't like the way they're treating these people," said Lewis Adams, a lifelong Texas City resident. "They aren't making it safe for those people that work in these plants."

Chappell said the company is upgrading equipment at the Texas City plant and has taken steps to improve safety.

Jackson said all Americans should be concerned about energy issues.

"If you're white, black or brown, we are all victims of the energy monopolization, price gouging and greed," he said. "The American public has been too silent. We must fight back to drive down the price of gas."

Though his primary target is BP, he also wants to send a message to the government that they should step in to limit gas prices.

"We're going to be marching in 50 cities until we drive the price of gas down," he said. "I want the government to hear us and make a commitment to cap the cost of gas and fuel, a commitment to enforce safety and health laws."

HONK! HONK!

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It's kinda fun watching poindexter have a conversation with himself, isn't it?

11. poindexter

HONK! HONK!

12. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Jesse Jackson rhymes with "evil, self-serving bastard."

Seriously, the shit he pulls on companies and couches it under EOE (and I say this as someone who's one of the biggest libs on the board)...it's bullshit. I've seen some of it first-hand. And I've seen it derail the careers of people who didn't deserve it as well as elevate the careers of people who didn't deserve it for other reasons, too.

I'll be boycotting BP, alright. Especially when Jackson's sons take over an entire refinery or distributorship.

Draft saved Draft deleted