1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reason 5796 why ESPN stinks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I have to admit, in my case, you're right. I'd vote for hour-long condensed versions, maybe with the last quarter or period or final three innings in their entirety if the game was "classic" enough to be tense.

The problem with that sort of editing is that it always gets something wrong, snipping something that someone wanted to see while leaving in stuff that everyone else doesn't want to see. Then they frame it all with some announcer or old player or both, yakking away through some lousy production values of a bogus set or anchor desk. Even that "Greatest Game Ever Played" thing bugged after a while with all the chattering from the old guys and their current counterparts.

So maybe just show the games in some edited form and use crawls or pop-ups to give updates or resets or summaries. I dunno...

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It used to be on ESPN every day at around 4:30, just before Up Close with Roy Firestone.

Before the dark times, before the empire.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Nothing like a little scintillating commentary from Mark "He got good wood on that one!" Scott before heading off to work!

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

sdfjskldjflksjd...because that's apparently all I'm good for.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The interview segment was almost a self-parody. Talk about a snapshot of the times. I've heard better one-liners at an old folks' home. And the Ted Kluszewskis would sit there absolutely stone-faced.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

As far as signs of the times, the best was once he was talking to Ken Boyer, I think, when Hank Aaron was either the other hitter, or coming on the following week. "Yeah, that boy can really hit," Boyer said.

7. I am aging and full of Fail.
    Dana fucking Andrews?
    Yeesh.

8. ehlobuddy

ehlobuddy New Member

One episode I think it was Colavito hitting and they were talking to "Henry Aaron." It was classic, all Hank had to say about the Rock was "He has big, big hands." Scintilating.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

My on-screen cable menu says ESPN Classic is showing college football right now from Jan. 1, 2008. What I'm watching on the channel is a Showtime boxing rerun from 2004. Sharmba Mitchell vs. Kostya Tszyu.

Draft saved Draft deleted