1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reason 5796 why ESPN stinks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Greatest quote ever: "Republicans buy shoes too."

ESPN Classic is totally useless. As is the rest of the World Wide Leader's empire.

YOU SIT ON A THRONE OF LIES!

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

The Jordan didn't take stand on anything absurd. Who the fuck cares? He is an athlete, a great athlete and that is all.

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Dana Andrews -- male actor.
    Dana Jacobson -- happy drunk who's not quite as funny as she thinks she is.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

fix'd

5. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Mustang, ol' pal, I have a three-word solution to your problem:

Chase. Some. Tail.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

ALSO:

7. ehlobuddy

ehlobuddy New Member

I used to love when ESPN would broadcast the old Home Run Derby show from the 1950's. Got to see a bunch of players my father used to tell me about actually hitting the ball and interacting with the host in a laid-back situation. I thought that was really cool. Rocky Colavito, Frank Howard, a young Hank Aaron...is that still on anywhere?

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was thinking of that show too. Easily digested half-hour. (um, it was a half-hour, right?)

I like the concept of classic reruns, but I know there's no friggin way I'm sitting through, say, the middle innings of a baseball game that I know who won. So it's really hard for me to berate ESPN for not filling precious prime-time hours with decades old stuff every night. But there's no reason to not stock the overnight and morning hours with that stuff for those of us who would fire up the DVRs.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'd sit down and watch the entire 6 or so hours of the Pens-Flyers OT hockey game from a while back. That was some amazing hockey.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I think the number of people who say they will watch an entire game and the number of people who really do is very different. (Not doubting you, SC, of course. Keep the cats off me.) I don't think ESPN would have messed with Classic this much if that wasn't the case. It's also not in ESPN's DNA to just say "this is a tiny-viewership niche network and we'll leave it that way."

11. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I've always thought it would be cool if Classic would show old Sportscenters.

Instead of having rodeo tonight, they could show the Sportscenter from Jan. 2, 1986. Might be kind of interesting.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I don't know that I would sit and watch any other game in full, just that one.

Draft saved Draft deleted