1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reasking for job...I hope this is in the right place

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GFav44, Dec 2, 2006.

1. GFav44

GFav44 Member

I hope this thread is in the right place. I received a "hook up" to get an interview with a local sports department and decided to turn them down before being offered any job (it was just a sports desk job working at night) to pursue another interest. Now, I would like to "reapply" for that job and I have no idea how I should approach this situation. Any help is well appreciated. If this is in the wrong section, once again, sorry.

2. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Instead of "reapply" is "beg" the word you're looking for?

3. GFav44

GFav44 Member

LOL...yes, BEG is the more appropriate word.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

How long has it been since you applied the first time? Weeks or years?

5. GFav44

GFav44 Member

2 or 3 years. More like 3 years. Its been a a lil while, but not that long ago.

6. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

1. Do you think they've forgotten?
    2. Do you have a good reason why you want to come back? EXAMPLE: Wife decided she wanted to move closer to her hometown.
    3. Do you have anyone there currently that would stand up for you?

You better not answer no to all those questions.

7. GFav44

GFav44 Member

1. I dont know. I know the beat reporter for the football team when I was in undergrad at Christopher Newport Univ. in Newport News but Im not sure if she remembers me.

2. My reason for coming back is I pursued another career option at that time ( I was 23 and stil exploring) and after evaluating my career options, I choose journalism.

3. That I would have to say another I dont know.

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

kiss some ass. acknowledge you made a mistake in turning it down. be contrite and forthcoming and hopefully the hiring editor understands because to me, it sounds understandable. if he's the type who thinks 'why the fuck should i consider this kid who once rejected us?' then he's a dickhead and you don't want to be working there anyway.

9. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

dude, you're screwed. Someone hooked you up with an interview, and then you changed your mind. you're screwed.

10. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

In my experience, it didn't happen. I had an interview for a job at one place that didn't go anywhere. They liked me enough to let me know that another paper in the state was looking for someone for a similar job.

However, saw a different job (I'm a man who wears many hats) at the first paper and never heard a word.

It's just not meant to be sometimes.

11. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

If someone did you a favor to get you the interview the first time and you turned your back on that chance, that bridge is now burned.

Draft saved Draft deleted