1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rear-ended

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CradleRobber, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

7 posts until we get to the neighbor.

I am supremely upset at this.

You all are slacking.

2. Contact Boots and see if he can get his company's HR people on this.
    You should have results within the hour.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I got no stoob joke to add, but I'll echo the idea that you always report it to the cops. By not having them come out, you gave that kid a free pass on a ticket for driving like a jackass, not to mention making the insurance side of this easier with the popo report.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I got a nice smashed bumper once. Police were called, report was filed, insurance info was traded, and when I got home a few hours later there was already a call from the other driver's insurance agency. They told me to get three estimates and give them the one in the middle as long as it was under 1K. Got two estimates, one was for like $997, I just submitted that. They sent me a check and I never fixed my bumper.

That was 12 years ago. They might do it different now.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Just seeing the title of this thread confirms what I knew when I first met CR -- he is going to be a big f'ing stud in this business.

6. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Damn. I got a few estimates this morning, ranging from $746 to $921. I called the Sacramento PD to see if I messed up by not calling them out or filing a report, and the operator said that since there were no injuries, no tow truck involved and since I got his information, they wouldn't have filed a report anyway. California DMV requires you to report all accidents over $750, so I'm emailing the guy PDFs for the $746 and going with that to save him more hassle. His deductible is $500 and he said he wants to do it through insurance. He admitted total fault and I have a witness for insurance. He's got AAA, I have USAA. Which one do I call, and does he need to call?

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

If it's his fault, he should be the one calling.

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

You should have called the police. This has happened twice to us (once with me driving and once with my wife driving). Each time, we got an officer to come in and file a report. Each time, it was the other guy's fault. Each time, we didn't have to pay a cent. It is a hassle with getting a rental car and all, but not costly if done right.

9. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

The police said in retrospect they wouldn't have wanted to be called over this or have filed a report.

I sent the email with the PDFs of the estimates, called him to let him know I sent them and ask him to get me an insurance number from AAA by tomorrow afternoon, and he freaked out. He had already seen the PDFs, so he must have been chomping at the bit for the email. I guess he didn't believe me about the estimates when he said he would just want to handle it through insurance, because he immediately changed his mind and said he wanted to pay me $750 cash.

It makes sense for him to do it that way. He's mailing me an insured cashier's check with tracking number (that protects both of us) tomorrow.

Draft saved Draft deleted