1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rear-ended

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CradleRobber, Jul 23, 2007.

1. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Some dumbass rear-ended me as I was leaving Sacramento at the end of a very fun weekend to visit my parents up north. All the damage is to the bumper, but it now looks pretty shitty and I try to keep my car looking as nice cosmetically as it is mechanically. The dude (mid-20s, '92 BMW on his dad's insurance) stopped, I took his insurance information and phone number. He admitted it was 100 percent his fault and said he would "take care of it." I said I'd be in touch.

But I have no idea how these situations work, I barely knew what information to take from him at the scene. I don't want it to go through insurance. Even though he is completely at fault (basically trying to make an illegal pass at a stop sign), my parents said they'll take me off their insurance if a claim is reported and I'll be paying on my own.

What's going to happen? Obviously I need to go get a quote and then call this dude, but then what? What are the chances he doesn't answer his phone because he realizes the out-of-area-code number is obviously the guy he hit?

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

You have got the shittiest car luck of anyone I know.

Nothing to add beyond that. Sorry, dude.

3. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

No kidding. I think my whip is seriously cursed.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Should have reported it to the cops. If the accident's not your fault, your insurance shouldn't go up any. Least mine doesn't.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I've had that happen twice, once recently. My car's still in the shop.

There shouldn't be any claim on your policy, but your company needs to know what's going on. It should all be paid for by the other guy's insurance. Talk to your insurance agent. They'll be wanting all the info you have.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It's all those Avis jokes you made. Karma is a bitch.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

This thread isn't about hooking up with your neighbor?

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Seriously, dude, from old friends throwing rocks at your car to getting rear-ended, I hope your fall is better than your summer.

9. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I'll be honest, I had the under on this.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yeah, I hope so, too, CR. If it's any consolation, we were thinking of you lots last night.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Don't forget the assholes who ripped off his stereo.

12. zufer

zufer Active Member

Burt Bacharach sings: I was hit ... in the rear...

Draft saved Draft deleted