1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Really, Reilly?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MidwestSportsGuy, Apr 15, 2009.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Candidate for line of the year. Well done, Les.

2. silentbob

silentbob Member

The whole "hanging on for dear life" while riding shotgun with the superstar is soooooooooooooooo worn out.

3. This would seem to be a column that would help you to not hate these sorts of guys. I don't think Peyton Manning is tossing the pigskin through a tire swing at 3:30 in the morning. I don't think Derek Jeter is taking BP that hour. I'm not a big fan of Kobe, but you have to admit he puts the work in, more than just about any other pro athlete out there.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The thing about Kobe, LeBron, et. al., sure they were born with talent, but the same competitiveness that makes them demand (and frequently make) that last second shot is also what gets them up in the morning and be able to focus their entire energies on being as good as they can possibly be.

And as for the details, Reilly initially said Bryant played golf with Plump in the article, since corrected (without a note) to refer to the guy who played Jimmy Chitwood in Hoosiers.

5. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I can't believe Kobe didn't know what time his game was until an hour and a half before tip-off. I mean, think about that.

6. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Wow, Reilly, only two years late on this one ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=4145564

7. Grimace

Grimace Guest

"blowing through batters like a Cub Scout through Skittles."

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

That's when I stopped reading.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm sure I'm not the only one who can hear the rimshots when I'm reading his stuff.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Last season, he had 23 saves for the Staten Island Yankees, with a 0.83 ERA. And best of all, the kid can relieve himself!

::)

Next up for Reilly: ex-Cardinals pitcher Rick Ankiel attempts to re-invent himself - as an outfielder! Can you believe it?!?!

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Still dead.

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Big deal. I do that every morning, and I bet I've got better location! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted