1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Really, really stupid job question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter_Sobchak, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I feel like quite the retard for posing this question but....

When you're corresponding with editors for a potential job, is it an absolute no-no to address them by their first name in subsequent emails following the cover letter?

I ask this because I applied for a desk job at a paper that would be a significant, significant step up from where I currently am. Obviously in my cover letter, I used the "Dear Mr. Jones" but in follow-up phone conversations and emails, I went with his first name (and I've also had an interview there).

Thing is, in all the return correspondence from Mr. Jones, he addresses me as Mr. Sobchak. So I think I've shot myself in the foot. It seems to be a general consensus that using Mr. Jones is best before getting hired, but I've never had a job where I've called anyone, even the biggest of the big wigs, by anything other than their first name.

If you're a hiring SE, do you mind if job candidates address you by their first name?

2. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I could care less what you call me, but you should always call them Mr. or Mrs. until they tell you otherwise.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

It kind of depends for me. I prefer a first-name basis, but since he called you by Mr. Sobch, you should show him the same courtesy.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Wish there was a rule. Unfortunately, it depends on the person. I don't mind at all if people address me by my first name in that kind of correspondence. Also kind of depends on the level. If a young person is applying to a big paper, an added level of respect might be appropriate. But if Mike Royko is corresponding with the city editor at the Tribune about a job, he can call him whatever he wants.

In this case, I think you take your cue from the other, and he's using last names, so you should, too. And I don't think you'll be hurting yourself if you revert to that after a couple of first name references.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I call everyone Big Guy or Sportsfan.

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

He's the Dude. So that's what you call him. You know, that or uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Always start off with Mr./Mrs., then see how they address you and sign their e-mails.

If they address you as Mr./Mrs. or if they give their name and formal title signing off, then continue with the Mr./Mrs.

Don't go casual until they go casual first.

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

you can't go wrong being more formal than necessary.

you can go wrong being too informal.

if someone literally decides not to hire you because you addressed him as Leo, instead of Mr. Lion, well, he's probably an anal mo-fo who you don't want to work for.

9. silentbob

silentbob Member

If a newspaper doesnt hire you because you didn't address an editor as Mr or Mrs, you dont want to work there anyway.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Only stupid people. :D

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The SE who hired me when I was 16 said on my first night of work, "Don't you ever call me Mister (Doe) again." And I never have addressed another journalist that way again. I never thought about it, really.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks mr. ridgeway. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted