1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Really? Nothing about Clint Eastwood?!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterIrrelevant, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterIrrelevant

MisterIrrelevant Active Member

Really? There's nothing about Clint Eastwood's epic mindfuck on here?! Are there 10 threads that have already been deleted about it and I'm just DBing another soon-to-be-deleted thread? Is it discreetly labeled as something else?

I don't really understand the whole political ban because debate is something journalists do best, not to mention we all have free will to click on any thread, and the knowledge that stupid personal things are going to be said at times that shouldn't be taken personally because that is the nature of politics, but the Clint Eastwood thing is what we do best! How are we not discussing this?! This goes beyond politics, entertainment, current events or anything we actually post about. I guess this thread belongs in Sports and News over Anything Goes, but I really don't know where to put a performance like that. The sheer humor that could be created by people here is potential SJ cold!

I'm not even bothering to post a link about it because there can't be a soul on the internet that doesn't know about it. Of course, a thread about it here will probably turn political and spiteful and stupid, but as Eastwood would say "make my day."

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

WaPo thought he was awful.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Leaving the ideology aside, he made no flippin' sense. The first GFY joke was kinda funny. The third one, eh. It reminded me of when Sinatra was on stage rambling at the Oscars and they played the music over him.

For anyone under the age of 20 or so, this will be their first, and only, memory of a guy who is a film icon. And that's kind of sad.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

https://twitter.com/InvisibleObama

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

https://twitter.com/clintschair

6. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Politics aside, Obama's response on twitter is fantastic.

https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/241392153148915712/photo/1

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Uhmm..... No comment.

[​IMG]

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Eli Wallach is going to steal the show in Charlotte.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I love Eastwood. Still do. He is who he is. I just wonder if what he did was what the organizers had in mind. They were probably expecting another "Halftime in America" - they didn't get it.

11. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

I was only half paying attention, but I coulda sworn I heard one of the TV bozos mention something about Eastwood's teleprompter going down very early in the "speech," and him basically going improv for most of it.

Probably just spin, but if true, a tip of the cap. I actually thought the symbolism of the empty chair representing Obama was pretty effective.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

for a buffoon, yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.