1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Really need some help with a decision

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Three Bags, you can't go wrong with this decision.

On the one hand, you can explore NYC with your wife as first-timers. And something tells me there's a zillion things to do there. My fiancee suggested that when we do NYC, we hit Yankee and Shea stadiums, call in advance to see whether we can get into a Letterman or Conan taping, etc. And of course, I would have to see the WTC site just because. Never got the chance to see the towers in person, which I regret.

And then there are the fruity drinks. Never been there, heard it's great. But I'm more of a cold weather guy, so Alaska appeals a shade more to be than the Caribbean -- especially in the summer months. I'm odd like that.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Or if this is a summer trip, skip Philly and spend a couple of days on the Jersey Shore (southern shore Ocean City, Cape May, Island Beach State Park, Seaside Heights, etc.) and drive an hour into Philly for a game at Citizens Bank Park. Then drive the 1-2 hours up to NYC and spend time there.
    After that spend a day or so on Cape Cod enjoying the beach before heading up to Boston.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

We did a little research on Hawaii last night.

Military lodging there is fairly cheap; we can stay at the Hale Koa or beach cottages at Kanahoe (sp?) Bay.

But I've always heard Hawaii is quite expensive. Can a couple vacation there, excluding lodging, for $200 a day and have a good time?

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I would shy away from Seaside and go with Wildwood, Cape may or Ocean City.

If you have kids, the Jersey Shore works because of all the rides on the piers.

At the same time you are talking about fruity drinks in hammocks. So, this is something that is very different.

Good luck making this decision.

5. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

I've found sitting your ass on an Hawaiian beach all day is damn close to free, and most recommended.

Food costs, I think, are comparable to the mainland.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Hmmm. That gives Hawaii the clubhouse lead, I think.

Anyone have any information about Oahu?

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

If you like adult beverages, you might want to skip Ocean City. It's a dry town. Learned that the hard way.

8. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I don't have much info on Hawaii. But it certainly goes without saying that a visit to Pearl Harbor is a once-in-a-lifetime thing for most people. I don't how you could make the trip without doing that.

My suggestion is to hit Lonely Planet's Web site. Actually, I'll help you out.

Try this link: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/destinations/north-america/usa/hawaii/oahu

Just be warned, don't wear that idol thing as a necklace while you're surfing. It's cursed.

Draft saved Draft deleted