1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Really need some help with a decision

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I vote for the Caribbean, but not an all-inclusive resort. I think if you're going to go someplace, you should experience it, not spend all your time at the resort, killing time between the meals you've already paid for. There are lots of options, depending on where you're flying from and how much you want to spend. The Bahamas are an easy choice, for one, but there are so many others.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I've got two ideas:

1) Make a northeast swing. Start in Philly, take in the historical sites and a Phillies game (and a real cheesesteak). Drive the 2 hours up to NYC, spend some time there and take in a Yankees game, a Mets game and all that NYC has to offer, then drive the 5 hours from NYC to Boston and enjoy Fenway and the sites around Boston. If you plan it right, make a side trip between Philly and NYC to the Jersey Shore and enjoy a day or two on the beach -- there are plenty of choices depending on if you want the southern half of the Jersey Shore (Cape May, Atlantic City, Ocean City, Island Beach State Park, etc.) or the northern part of the shore (Belmar, Point Pleasant, and a few others I'm blanking on right now).

2) A 3-day, 4-night Bahamas cruise on Royal Caribbean out of Port Canaveral, then a visit to the Kennedy Space Center and some time in Orlando upon returning. Just enjoy yourselves at Sea World, Universal Studios, Disney/MGM Studios, EPCOT, the Magic Kingdom, etc.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No one said WallyWorld yet?

4. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

I'd do New York/Boston, I've never been but would like to hit both. If I'm in your shoes, I hit Yankee Stadium before the new one opens in 2009; see the sights of New York for a few days, drive up to Fenway and catch New England in the fall with the seasons changing.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

How much of a baseball (or sports) fan is your wife? I'm saying she might like the Yankees, but would she like to go to a lot of different parks? If she would, that might make a good argument for the car trip but that might be too much for all but the most devoted (demented? :) ] baseball fan.

6. Clubber_Slang

Clubber_Slang Active Member

You can go to Vegas and visit the site where Tupac was shot, then go to Georgia for that Tupac Memorial Center (or whatever the hell it is) they have there.

Then come find me and I'll kick your ass.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Honestly, on all the road trips I've ever been on, my trip to Colorado was the best.
    If I could do it, I'd fly into Denver, drive up through Boulder and along the Rockies, head to the Black Hills and swing back. Relas. See things you normally wouldn;t. Catch a small college football game on a Saturday afternoon where you could give a shit about who's playing...Look at the leaves change ....

8. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

How much of a heroin junkie is your wife? I'm saying that she might like Amsterdam, but would she like to have sex with strangers in exchange for a fix? If she would, that might make a good argument for the plane flight. But that might be too much for all but former Republican Senate candidates from Illinois and '70s rock icons.

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I'm going against the conventional wisdom here and go with the week in the Caribbean. Normally, a vacation to go visit places is the most fun, but you'll be coming off exams and headed for a very high-pressure world at Ft. Rucker. Right now I recommend you just spend some very relaxing time with Mrs. tbf. If you have kids, you won't have this chance for years.

Beach, boat drinks, maybe Mrs. tbf does a little topless sunbathing. No obligations besides remembering to get on the flight home. That'd be my choice here.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Any time I hear someone looking for vacation ideas, I have to recommend Thailand. It's amazing. It's a completely different culture, but it isn't as scary as one would think. There's little to language barrier (there's always someone who speaks english) and the food, scenery, drinks and beaches are fantastic. It's cheap, too, which is nice.

I went for two weeks and spent a total of $1400 (including an $800 plane ticket). And this was staying in places where you could open your front door and step onto a beach. We didn't do the resort thing. Just got a couple guide books and hit up some of the less-touristy areas (including four incredible days in the jungle).

It also has the added bonus of being a place that not many of your friends have gone to. You tell someone you went to the Caribbean and you get, "Oh, that's cool. You have fun?" You say you went to Thailand (or even a place like Palau, as someone else mentioned) and they want to know every detail. It's a somewhat unique place for Americans to visit.

I can't recommend that country high enough. PM me if you want more details.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Idea Number 1 is really cool. The whole trip would be very costly because these areas aren't cheap, but you could hit all three in about a week and be reasonably happy with the amount of sights you cover.

I wouldn't be so high on catching a ballgame at Shea, though. That place is hardly any sort of attraction, even for those that are fans of the team. The Phillies have a new stadium so that might be interesting. Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park would be the big ones.

Addtionally, Boston, Philly and NYC each have quality Chinatown areas. So you could hit each one and compare. The same goes for Little Italy.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm really digging the NY, Boston, Philly idea. But I'm also a beach bum. We love baseball and baseball stadiums. But we also love relaxing in a hammock.

Do I want to feel rushed in NY, Boston and Philly? Or do I want to chill with a fruity drink?

Damn it!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted