1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Really need some help with a decision

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Sep 13, 2006.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I like the idea of a driving tour.
    Pick a spot you want to end up in and just start driving.
    No real plan. Just a destination that you want to make.
    Vegas, the Pacific Coast or Canada.
    I guess it depends on where you live and if you had people you needed or wanted to see along the way.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Sir, I first want to thank you for your service to our country. You have my utmost respect and admiration. Consider this a salute through the Internet.

As for vacations, it is only my opinion, but I think a cruise is absolutely the best vacation value. I go on one every February after the NFL season is all kaput. If you take a seven-day cruise, you'll get three or four ports with many different things to do. The one drawback I can think of is a Caribbean cruise during the cold-weather time of the year is such a great getaway, but since you're going in June, it might not be as appreciated. Still, the deep blue waters, the great beaches, the excursions ... you just can't go wrong any time of the year. Also, the dining on cruise ships (and I'm partial to Royal Caribbean) is absolutely amazing. You'll never eat like that for a week again in your life (until your next cruise).

Hope this helps.

EDIT: If the cruise idea is a bit too pricey, I really like the idea of just packing up the car and going, with no particular place to go. Just once I'd like to pack up and go where ever the road takes me for about a week. Of course, I'd most like to do it in summer and take in about seven or eight big-league baseball parks.

3. joe

joe Active Member

Go to Yankee Stadium for a game or two, and spend at least a night (or two) in NYC. Fly to Miami and take a 5-night, 4-day cruise. Best of both worlds. Wife gets to enjoy cruise, you get to enjoy house that Ruth built.
    And thank your lucky stars you don't wind up the next morning in Baghdad.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Montana, 3bf. Check out Glacier, Yellowstone, Custer's battlefield. :D

I'd go with New York or the Carribean myself, but I'm not sure which. It'd probably depend on time of year, deals, etc. with me.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Don't listen to her, TBF. Montana sucks hard core. :p

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Go with the driving tour.

I'll burn you some Tupac for entertainment. :D

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

HATER!!!!!!!!

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

I recommend Greensburg, KS.

Home of the World's Largest Hand-dug Well.

Scenic driving through miles and miles of dried-up farmland.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Don't know where we'll be stationed. There's about a 90 percent chance I'm headed to flight school, which is more than a year long. It's divided into two parts, Initial Entry Rotary Wing training, where everyone learns to fly the same platform. Then, Advanced ERW, where I'll learn to fly my platform -- the one they give me, i.e., Apache, Blackhawk, Apache, Kiowa.

That's why we don't know about Europe. But I'd guess we have a better chance of being stationed stateside; it's simply a numbers guess.

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. I certainly appreciate it. It seems like every night we come up with a different idea.

10. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I think it's going to depend upon your personality and what sort of thing interests you. Obviously, Vegas has a certain allure that you're not going to find if you decide to hit some exotic place on the other side of the planet.

If nature is your thing, there are tons of options. You can't go wrong with a visit to the Grand Canyon or one of 50 other beautiful places. But hiking and your willingness to be in the rugged outdoors will affect your decision.

If you like to sight-see, I'd do Europe or the Egyptian pyramids. There's a touch of the exotic while still being western and somewhat safer than, say, the Congo or Iran.

My preference is to avoid big cities and popular places like Disney World. They are filled with people and tend to become more costly and more work than they are worth. i.e. Just say no to New York City.

Island trips seem like a great option. You might combine a driving trip and an island visit by driving to the Keys or some such thing. That way, you save yourself the flight but still enjoy the beautiful weather. If you need something more, I wouldn't suggest the Caribbean. I'd just head for Hawaii or another island of that ilk. The Galapagos might be interesting, particularly if you care at all for animals and such.

Personally, I want to take a boat cruise through Europe on a few of its incredible rivers. You can see castles from your dining table, and some of the stops lead to breweries and wineries. Pick the right time of year, and you've got a great vacation.

11. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Tahoe is lovely that time of year.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I'll second the Alaska suggestion. Hike, fish, sightsee, or just get some R&R. It's beautiful in the summer.

Draft saved Draft deleted