1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Really need some help with a decision

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Sep 13, 2006.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'll graduate and commission (as a lieutenant in the Army) in June, and Mrs. Three_bags and I would like to take a pretty nice vacation.

We have a million ideas, but can't really decide on anything.

Here are some of our options:

Europe: I've been to Italy, and she's never been. I'd love to take her there for a couple of weeks, but there's the chance that we could be stationed there (or in Germany) early on and have plenty of opportunities to see it.

Carribbean: I've had several buddies take trips to the Sandals, all-inclusive resorts in the Bahamas. They've all said they loved it and have encouraged us to go. I admit, I'd love a week or so on the beach with nothing much to do. Damn, I think we all need that. We've also considered a trip to Puerto Rico. Don't know much about it, other than it's beautiful.

New York: Neither of us have been. She's a Yankees fan (although I think it has more to do with Jeter and A-Rod), and we'd both love to see Yankee Stadium before the move. Hey, it's New York. And it could be coupled with a trip to Boston as well.

Miscellaneous: Just get in the car and drive. Kind-of like my grandparents.

Anyone have any suggestions ... or other ideas.

I'm open to any advice, because I'm really struggling with this decision and we need to get on the ball and start saving some money.

2. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

This is my opinion and my opinion only. But I think the days of "Just driving" are over. I may be wrong. I remember doing something similar on family vacations and we would just decide to stop, and it worked. But I have seen so many motels and hotels booked, that I don't think I could leave where I stayed to chance.

My thought is that if she hasn't been to some of the places you have, that might be a fun way to show her around your world.

Congratulations on youor graduation and thank you, very much, for your service to our country.

3. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I'm a huge fan of just getting in the car -- you can book some hotel reservations ahead of time if you know what direction you're going -- and making it up as you go along. I did that all the time in college. I usually headed west, with stops at national parks along the way.

You can't go wrong with New York, especially if it will be your first trip.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I would go to the Carribean. It would be a great way to relax and out of all of them, it is the one you will be least likely to have the chance to do later on. It is also probably the safest bet for a relaxing time.

5. three_bags_full

That's my thought on the driving tour. My grandparents have done it for years. If they can't find a hotel, they drive to the next town. But they've never made a reservation while on a vacation.

I just can't leave that to chance. It makes me feel too uneasy.

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Me too. There's a chance you'll see Italy soon. You can always go to New York.

Go get some sun and relax.

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

If it's the summer, might I recommend Alaska. 22 hours of daylight, highs in the mid-70's, and more natural beauty than you can shake a stick at. You could take a cruise, or perhaps go up to Denali National Park, home of Mount McKinley, the highest point in North America.

If you're set on a tropical vacation, this won't suffice. But it's a fun trip nonetheless.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Kankakee.

9. three_bags_full

I've thought seriously about it and researched it a little online.

I just forgot to include it in my first post.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Go to Palau.
    Scuba, snorkeling, ocean kayaking, lounging on the beach, hiking, some historic sites — Zero wreck in the jungle, Japanese pill boxes — ridiculously fresh seafood, marijuana (if you're into that). It's just a wonderful place.

The FSM is cool, too. You can see the archealogical sites at Pohnpei but still get out to check out the difference in cultures at Yap, Chuuk, etc.

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

First of all, congratulations and good luck with the service.

Do you have any idea where you might be stationed? If you were going to Europe, for instance, I don't know that it would make any sense to go there.

I don't know that I would be worried about going in the car without reservations. If you can drive 20 miles, you can find some place to stay.

I would probably choose somewhere in Europe, unless you are going to be stationed there. The reason I say that is because you can always go somewhere that a beach is located, but if you have children I think it would be more difficult to go to Europe.

If you have two weeks, I might try London and Paris if you can deal with big cities. The reason I say that is because, like New York, they are both unique places and you don't need a car to get around. You can just see museums that are unique in both cities. I know people say London is cold and the Paris is a place where people get treated coldly, but you're going to face that in any large city. The places are not dominated by tourism like a place in the Caribbean would be. For something really different, I have heard a lot of good things about Prague.

In the US, if you aren't familiar with California I would say that might be a good idea because you can drive from San Diego to San Francisco and find a lot of great things to do. Also, in June, if you stay along the coast it won't be too hot. I might think New York wouldn't be great this time because I would think if you are in the Air Force for any length of time, you might be stationed around Washington, DC and you can ride up to New York any time. I lived near New York and I never thought of it as a great place for tourists because there is almost too much to do. If you see a show, go to a museum, see sights, I would think you would have only sampled things; if you wanted to focus mostly on museums or plays, that might seem better. But I lived close to NYC, so maybe it's me.

I have a couple of biases - 1, I live in California. 2, I don't like resorts or packaged deals - I think you can get a guide book and figure out what to do without too much difficulty.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Vegas, baby!

Draft saved Draft deleted