1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Really Howard?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by cwilson3, Jul 7, 2009.

1. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/index.ssf/2009/07/how_many_more_majors_can_roger.html

Asks how many more majors Fed can win without mentioning his age in the entire piece?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

"It definitely seems possible, you know," said Federer, who turns 28 next month.

Got a reading problem, wilson?

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Guess this part through you?

4. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

Oops. I knew it seemed too dumb to be true.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Damn, spnited... got me.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It was too low in the story, to be honest. Third graf from the end and two grafs below a mention of Bjorn Borg's age when he walked away.

7. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

Yea, I was gonna follow up with that once I got over the embarassment haha. But yea, the reason I was so pissed was because that was the first thing that came to mind when I read the headline. How old is he?

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Two issues with your thought process:

1.) You're judging Fendrich's story based on a headline written by the Cleveland.com editor. The AP suggested hed is "Federer: 'I don't know if I can ever top this'" Which the story deals with.

2.) His age is mentioned at the part of the story where he deals with how many more he can win. It's not like that's the lede, and then the age isn't brought up until the 15th graf. The first 14 grafs are about Wimbledon, Rafa, etc.

9. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

Well, then I have a problem with the headline writer at the PD/Cleve.com. They're kinda notorious for that.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Wilson missed the age, yes, but the age should have been much higher in the story. It is almost a matter of course in every story about longevity, whether it be this issue or a guy signing a long-term contract or suffering/coming back from a serious injury. Last week, the Hossa signing, 12 years or something, his age also was buried in the story. I had to go digging and finally figure it out for myself that he would be well past 40 when the contract expired.
    And while we're at it, Ferguson golf gamer on Saturday, there was probably 15 inches of setup before he got around to mentioning that Woods and Kim were actually tied for the lead after the third round.

Draft saved Draft deleted