1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Really good bands that are under the radar

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Frylock, Nov 9, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

SOLD!

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought that might be coming... ;D

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Just about every band on my playlist. But three of the biggest under-the-radar bands are Alkaline Trio and two Canadian bands, Flashlight Brown and Cauterize, who played their final show last month.

4. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

scary kids scaring kids

5. Kings of Leon is a good band that doesn't get enough attention.

6. Melvins have experienced a renewed sense of energy since absorbing Big Business. There aren't many four member bands with two drummers. Hell...not many non-Southern Rock or jam bands without two drummers. Dale and Cody will be playing a custom drum kit starting on the next tour that will make them look more like conjoined twins than they presently do. The kit arrived at their home base about a week before the last road jaunt ended. They look like kids in a candy store when they talk about that drum kit.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever heard an Arcade Fire song on over the air radio.

8. Kings of Leon? Arcade Fire? Good, sure, but they're not under the radar.

I like Priestess. That's old-school 70s rock reborn.

I also like a Danish techno-pop band called <a href="http://www.myspace.com/tigerbabymusic">Tiger Baby</a>

I like Electric Six. Hard to explain that one: 80s dance, aggressive techno, self-parodying lyrics. It's fun.

I like VHS or Beta: 80s plus 90s plus british new wave-ish vibe.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Agree with you, PC, on your Amy Winehouse/Joss Stone rant. I'd rather listen to Regina Spektor, truth be told, than either of those.

As far as under the radar goes, I could list a whole bunch because I spend most of my day listening to the two indie stations on XM ... but my current fave is Stars, whose song "Midnight Coward" flat blows me away. Also been into Matt Pond PA a lot lately.

10. Hit single was "Bend It."
    The Doc is travelling through Obscuroland these days, I see.

11. Are you sure? How do you know? Have you determined the exact altitude of the radar?

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Arcade Fire has emerged from under the radar like the Hold Steady have.
    They're on the radar to some degree, but not under it anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted