1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Really dumb students push the envelope with dumb sweatshirts...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Jan 5, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It doesn't matter that I am offended. Does it have to matter? It's just an opinion. I think olives are a terrible food. Does it matter? Of course it doesn't.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Black or green olives? We might have to meet in the parking lot.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd like to believe it wasn't intended as a joke, but it was intended as a tribute.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What a bunch of assholes.

5. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

You want me to apologize because I want my children to be safe and not in the middle of an ethnic brawl, which the school has a recent history of? (No, it's nothing personal against you.)

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I have no doubt that they have seen stuff like that for years, and that sucks.

It's still a stupid design for a spirit shirt. I'm not saying they should be shot for it; what's clever when you're 17 can be pretty dumb once you are older. But I don't blame the school for pulling the plug on it.

And you won't find me defending some dipshit in a Confederate flag shirt, particularly tied to a school function.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Well, it matters inasmuch as any punishment meted out is likely to be influenced by public opinion at large. But I suppose I was projecting upon you the responsibility of explaining any general public sentiment against these kids. Which might have been slightly unfair.

And yes, olives are no good at all. Nice to know we can still agree on something. Kumbaya.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Not directed at you. Meant for mustang. Should probably have quoted it to clarify.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Ending well, this thread is not.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I'm certain they knew what they were doing. I'm just not seeing why that is offensive.

There is nothing on the shirt saying, "Hooray for taking down the towers!"

My old high school has a piece of the World Trade Center located in an area where you used to be able to see The Towers.

They aren't making the deaths a slogan (at least from what I see). The slogan is that they won't be brought down. It is a fact that buildings were brought down. Is this part of the history that we should ignore?

People have slogans about the Titanic, which many people died on. People have slogans about Pearl Harbor, which many people died on. Is there some sort of limit on who can and cannot use certain imagery? Who gets to determine this?

I get that you want your kids safe, but there is no reason that this should be a concern. I watched it happen. I have friends that died. I am not offended. I spent those evenings coaching a soccer team with the skyline in the background a burning building for days. As close as I am to the situation, I'm not angry.

The way your kids become unsafe is when the parents at home start ranting and raving about how "offensive" this is and how these kids are "looking for a fight." Of course, I have yet to see an actual description of why but people are offended. Then, the kids get offended because mom and dad have hammered it home that they should be. That's when the fights start.

I see the disruption/safety issue. I just think that the disruption comes from parents declaring offense and the children grabbing onto those emotions and acting them out.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'm coming up blank on slogans from the Titanic, other than save me a seat on the lifeboat.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

"I'm King of the World!"

Draft saved Draft deleted