1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Really dumb students push the envelope with dumb sweatshirts...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In a vacuum, I could see where you might thing the sweatshirts your perhaps misguided. From WolvEagle's description, I think those kids were deliberately trying to be provocative.

They are giving the rest of the school a F-U and want to get into dustups.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Offensive by whose definition? Your own? Remarkable that you would think that.

These kids don't think they've done anything offensive either. The fact that you're offended means they have?

People do and don't get offended by remarkable things. As I just pointed out, I'm pretty damn offended by those gold coins. But that's a 'tribute'.

It's all in the eye of the beholder.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm offended because I feel like those kids knew what they were doing. I feel like they knew what the image looked like. To think otherwise would be foolish.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Not that it does or doesn't excuse it, but I guarantee these kids have spent the past eight years having to look at 'terrorist hunting permits' and bumper stickers with things like 'I learned all I need to know about Islam on 9/11'.

And what if they were being intentionally provocative? I reckon there's a few on here who would attack these kids, yet defend kids who wear Confederate-flag T-shirts. 'They're just showing their Southern pride! If anyone gets offended, that's their problem.'

Freedom of speech can be a bitch sometimes.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

What about the bird/plane image makes it offensive?

There are photos up of the World Trade Center. You can buy them on nearly every street corner in Manhattan.

The words underneath are "You can't bring us down." Seems to me that they are fighting off the crash.

I'm just not seeing that.

If there was a negative connotation to it and not a message of hope, then sure.

6. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Pastor - Equating 3,000 deaths to a high school class slogan is stupid and offensive beyond belief, especially coming from an ethnic group that has been under a cloud of suspicion ever since.

Yes, Mustang and I are in agreement on this, but I live only a few miles from where he grew up, and I covered his high school in the sports and news departments. When you live in this area, you get a bit touchy about such things.

I hope tensions don't boil over at my kids' high school. My kids are there. I want them to be safe. I hope you understand that.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know if the real issue is whether the shirts are offensive or not. To me it's an issue of those students sticking their chests out and getting into fights or getting beat up because of the shirts.

So it's more of a disruption/safety issue.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

But the point is why does it matter that you're offended? Why should a dozen high-school kids care what you think?

And I know that sounds personal, but it's not meant to be, really. Just an honest question.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Exactly. It's not like it says 'It's been a blast.'

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You're starting to offend me.

11. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

It is personal for me because my children are there.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I demand you apologise for that.

Draft saved Draft deleted