1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Really dumb students push the envelope with dumb sweatshirts...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Jan 5, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

We had similar problems at my high school, which is a few miles down the road. Lots of big fights in the parking lot after school between Arabic students and Yugoslavian students. This was about 10 years ago. Sept. 11 made everyone else really touchy for a few months and nothing happened, but that didn't last very long.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I don't recall the thread. What were the fights about?
    Why, specifically?

When 9/11 occurred, I had the Twin Towers as a view from my bedroom window. I have friends that died that day. This doesn't offend me in the slightest.

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

The fights were about kids being stupid, and one of them was a racial/ethnic issue, which is a problem at the school. And, my children and I are offended because it's making light of people who died. What about the memory of those 3,000 or so people? What about their families and friends?

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I too am offended by this. Actually I am really mad about this. I can't believe that a group of 11 high school students who are arabic, don't know what the symbol meant. Maybe most kids who were 8 or 9 at the time would not know. But Arabic people have been discriminated against and profiled since 9/11 –– I find it hard to believe the kids don't know about it.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Imagine that.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Cool. So you're one of those people who never did anything stupid or offensive in high school.

I've always wondered what it was like to be one of those people.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

1. How is it "making light of people who died?" Please, be specific.
    2. What about the memory of those 3,000 that died?
    3. Would I, a non offended person, be included in your "families and friends?"

I'm still failing to find where the offense is. Is it simply the fact that it looks like the World Trade Center? Would any image offend you? Is it that the kids are Arabic?

All I see is that the two of you are "offended" without any real description of why.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I saw on TV the other night where a company will sell me gold-plated coins with the Twin Towers on them for $29.99 a pair.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The bird/plane in the image is what makes it offensive. Go without or place it differently, probably this is a non-issue. Have it looking eerily like United 175 before impact, well, that won't sit too well with folks.

And bs on the 'kids didn't know angle'. It's only the biggest, damn event in American history in probably the past 50 years. I was pretty young in the 60s but I learned our President got assassinated, learned about WWII and eradicating Hitler, learned about the Civil War. They teach about these major events--we learn about them. They know.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I didn't do anything offensive in high school. Stupid? Of course. But thanks for putting words in my mouth and trying to turn this thread into a pissing match.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Now that offends me.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

For the record, I thought the shirt was incredibly stupid before I even knew the kids involved were Arab-American. Yes, it would have been an issue either way.

I'm not offended -- honestly, I'm pretty offense-proof, and I think we go hysterically overboard with reverence for all things 9/11 -- but to take imagery from a terror attack that killed 3,000 people and turn it into a high school spirit shirt is just fucking stupid.

And any claim that they didn't intend it is a non-starter. The shirt doesn't even make sense outside of a 9/11 context. My oldest was 4 when 9/11 happened, and he knows about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted