1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Really dumb students push the envelope with dumb sweatshirts...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Jan 5, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Students said they didn't know the images looked like something else. I don't buy that.

Really distasteful.

http://freep.com/article/20100105/NEWS02/100105033/1322/No-punishment-planned-for-students-who-wore-Twin-Towers-shirts

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wonder if the shirts would have been considered offensive if the students weren't all Arab Americans.

That's all I got.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm shocked that high-school students would show poor judgment.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Oh dear.

End well, this will not.

I have a hard time believing the kids didn't know, but I think we forget how stupid kids can be. And if these are high-school juniors, then they're 16, 17. Meaning they were 8, 9 when the towers came down. So they'd have known about it ... but only to an extent.

Also: They named a high school after Edsel Ford? Really?

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

There does seem to be a lot of tip-toeing among school officials.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I'm not really offended by this. It seems clever enough and I'm certain that's what they were going for. I don't think this was negative either. It could possibly be taken in the reverse.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm with pastor on this and I'll take it one step further.
    If some local "patriotic" group had worn these sweatshirts it would be seen as a tribute and an affirmation of our resolve not to be "taken down" by terrorism.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Agreed ... kids tried to be clever (and I think they pretty much succeeded), but some people didn't care for the use of the imagry. Much ado about nothing.

EDIT: Agree with Spnited as well.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The only reason it was so offensive was because the students are all from the Middle East.

I do think the bird/plane flying near the towers is a bit much.

10. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I don't know if any of you recall the thread I started about problems, namely fights, in the parking lot of my kids' high school.

Yes, Edsel Ford High School. Yes, Arab-American boys were fighting in those incidents (though it's been quiet for a while, thankfully). In one of the fights, which was Arab-black, they bounced off my car, inches from from daughter, who was in the back seat.

My kids told me about the hoodies as I was driving them home about an hour ago.

How effing stupid can these kids who printed the hoodie be? How the eff could they not think these were offensive? How?

There have been white-Arab-black problems at EFHS for years. This sure as hell won't help.

Just effing great.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'd like to believe that. But being from Dearborn, I have a hard time believing that.

12. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

And, yes, I am offended by these sweatshirts, as my children are. Never joke about 9/11 - never - regardless of ethnicity.

Draft saved Draft deleted