1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Really Cracker Barrel? You had to go there?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Aug 11, 2009.

1. bwright

bwright Member

You're doing it wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

But the breakfast there is so good, I don't care. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

The food is OK, but I've never understood the concept of Cracker Barrel.

I mean, who the hell wants to buy a whoopie cushion after a meal?

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

So does everyone else. Which is why there's a 45 minute wait on Sunday morning.

5. JackReacher

My wife can look around in the gift shop for hours and not buy a thing. Weird.

I have, however, found a few decent Xmas gifts there.

Plus, you can play checkers while waiting for a table. Then, once your at the table, you get to play that silly triangle game with the wooden pins or whatever. God, I suck. What's that game called?

Also, if I ever see a Lucky Strikes sign, I'm stealing that bitch!

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Ever wondered how many snot-nosed kids have played that triangle golf-tee game and put germs on those?

Yeah, next time you're there you'll think about that. Nasty fucking games. Might as well stick those tees up your nostrils.

After eating at CB you don't need to buy one. Just wait a few hours.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Those golf tee games are pretty dirty. I still don't get how you're supposed to get golf balls on every tee. Guess that's why I'm an ig-nor-a-mooos.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just perception, but there shouldn't be much deviation within the 800 or however many Cracker Barrels there are because they're all owned by CB --no franchising. The CB I worked for a few years ago had an experimental menu that was being road-tested at a few stores, but it wasn't really that dramatically different; a couple of dishes were added, a few dropped.

I'd be more inclined to eat at a CB outside the South, actually, because I figure there's better comfort food options down this way. Of course, CBs tend to be on interstates and attract travelers. So on a trip from New York to Atlantia, how likely are you going to want to veer off I-40 in Statesville, N.C. to find a respectable mom-and-pop place?

And those who say the food is bland sorta miss the point. Comfort food was never meant to push the envelope. You can get quality food, but it's never going to wow you. That said, their fried boneless chicken breast dinner on Sunday is pretty damned good, and since you can get breakfast anytime, it's a better bet for a 9 p.m. bout of pancakes or French toast than Denny's.

9. JackReacher

Agreed.

However, when I lived in Alabama, I still ate at Cracker Barrell once a month or so. It's that good.

10. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

Correct answer.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

As long as there is an IHOP in my town, Cracker Barrel will have to go without my business.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

While living in Michigan, I noticed that grits were "optional" on the breakfast menu.

And now living on a different continent, I miss CB badly. The "biscuits or cornbread" question is a toughie -- I love the salty taste of the biscuits.

Breakfast is best, and the kids' menu has no age limit, so it's great for small meal.

Plus, after drinking sweet tea all meal long, they'll happily give you another to go.

Draft saved Draft deleted