1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Really Cracker Barrel? You had to go there?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Aug 11, 2009.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

As I'm paying the check at lunch today, I notice something really disturbing in the window display at the local Cracker Barrel.

Christmas merchandise. And not just one or two knicknacks on clearance, but an entire corner of the store devoted all the red and green Santa shit you could ever want. And it wasn't like they were unpacking boxes. This dsiplay was fully set up and raring to go. After all, it's only August 11. And the high today was only 91. And the first day of school isn't until tommorrow.

Charles Schultz was a prophet.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

First day of school is tomorrow? It's September 8th in Michigan.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

why do you hate christmas, dixie?

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

My sisters would love to have that as their start date. They went back last Thursday. Fort Knox schools started a week ago yesterday.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I blame soccer

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I don't know about Dixie, but I kinda sorta do hate it.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Hallmark laughs. They unveiled their Christmas ornaments last month.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I told everyone I knew about my Cracker Barrel experience, but they didn't believe me.

July 30. Hot as hell. I'm working part time at the CB and as I walk in to start my shift, I see Halloween crap all over the place.

"Damn," I told the retail manager. "Not even August and we're already neck-deep in Halloween?"

"You think that's something," she said, "the next truck's gonna have the first Christmas merchandise."

Oh, ha ha ha.

August 2. Hotter than hot hell. I walk in to pick up my check, step into the retail store and ... holy. shit. A lit-up Christmas tree, right in the middle of the store. Trinkets all around it. Manager's like "see, told you so." Three trees up by the end of the week.

I'm shocked they waited as long as they did to pull the trigger this season.

Sidenote: I don't recall seeing any Christmas in July sales/ads/promotions this year. Did I miss them? Do They Know It's Christmas In July Time?

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I think the thread title, with a little different punctuation, is the proper response: "Really? Cracker Barrel? You had to go there?"

I mean, was there no Denny's around? :)

10. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought this topic was going to be moved to the Politics board.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Not really a surprise.

Walgreens has been getting Halloween candy since about mid-July. They've started putting it on the shelves in the last week.

They've also started to get Thanksgiving (which isn't much really) and Christmas deliveries from their warehouse.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Ate at Cracker Barrel for the first time two week ago... stopped outside Binghamton, NY on my way to Canada.

Totally unimpressive meal.

Draft saved Draft deleted