1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Really, Chicago Tribune? Really?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Strong Bad, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Guest

Please click the link and see if you can spot the monster fucking error. I wonder how long it will take them to fix it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/chi-29-bulls-brite-derrick-rosejan29,0,1146569.story

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Ha, that's funny.

Though I'm guessing no one in sports posted the headline, but it still should be correct.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

community journalism at its best.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Guh.

I missed it the first time, too.

But that's pretty bad.

5. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Six minutes and counting...

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I don't sea the problum.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Yikes.

That's going to become more and more common, sadly.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Still up. Yikes.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

They probably had him confused with the Cubs' first baseman

10. awriter

awriter Active Member

You're probably right. Certainly not a great moment for the headline writer, but is it really necessary to point this one out, Strong? Should we just assume that you're never had a mistake in a story or headline?

11. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Guest

One in which I mistook the No. 1 overall pick, probable Rookie of the Year and a native Chicagoan (you know, where the Tribune and the Bulls are located) for a player in a completely different sport? Probably not.

And I'm sure this mistake didn't appear in print, for what it's worth. It's just pretty much unacceptable to have a hed bust of this magnitude at a paper this size go uncorrected for this long, in my opinion. The date stamp says 8:26 CST. That was more than six hours ago. Unacceptable.

And I'm sure it wouldn't have happened as recently as two or three years ago. Then again, this is the paper that confused Eddie Johnsons a few years back, so I'm not sure anymore.

12. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Man, that copy editor should be shot in the face with a rusty arrow. How dare someone in this industry make such a life-changing mistake. Anything less than perfection is not tolerated. It's just not human.

Again, what do you expect? Cutbacks, layoffs, told to do more with less? I hate mistakes, especially careless and obvious ones, but my bet is that copy editor had more than one thing on his plate that night.

I'd probably show him a little mercy, remind him to wake up and let him keep his job.

Draft saved Draft deleted