1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reality TV show writing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by nychack, Feb 14, 2008.

1. nychack

nychack Member

Hey, I've been offered a chance to write for a sports reality show (not network) and they want to know my rate. I've not written for TV before, although I do have more than 10 years of professional experience in print and internet journalism.

Basic question is, what is my rate? Is there a site somewhere that has an idea of a range of rates so I don't outprice myself?

Sorry for the vagueness and thanks for the help.

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

How can you write for a reality show? If it's written, doesn't that mean that it's not, what's the word I'm looking for, real.

3. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Best advice: Figure out the minimum you can/are willing to live on with this job and add a couple thousand to it. That couple thousand shouldn't cause them to reject you outright. If they do, that probably means your minimum was also too high for them. You should also probably make sure your minimum is at least equal to what you're making now.

4. nychack

nychack Member

Colbert,

Thanks much. The only thing though is that I dont think it's gonna replace my current gig. Its a regional show and they're putting together a budget for the network. Still working out the kinks on how much involvement they'd need from me (2-3 hours a week, 8 hours a day, etc.). Would an hourly rate be better than just a flat fee?

5. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

That changes it a bit. In this case, it gives you a little more freedom. Depending on how flexible the hours are, a flat fee might be better -- just to guarantee the same money every week.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

http://www.wgaeast.org/index.php/articles/article/412?startnum=&sort=&letter=&wgc=95#wga412

7. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Just about every reality show has writers. Watch the credits next time you're viewing your favorite reality show.

The conversations aren't scripted, per se, but the situations they put them in definitely are.

We just recently did a story on a guy that went on "Deal or No Deal" and off the record he told us that he was coached to say certain things or act a certain way on stage. He said that one of the staff members of Deal or No Deal told him that 70 percent of the contestants are aspiring actors, or have some theatrical experience, because it makes for a "better show."

8. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

Really? I thought they were just idiots.

9. maberger

maberger Member

nychack -- do you know yet what you will be writing? Bridges? Narrative? Bumps?

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Tell them that the opportunity is more important than the pay scale, and you will only make it an issue if it is a problem. That way they don't give you an insulting offer, and you don't ask way more than the going rate.

Draft saved Draft deleted