1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

reality hits Decatur Daily, TimesDaily in Alabama

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2underpar, May 6, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No, but as someone who was in that situation two years ago (a bit different, leaving was more my call but it wasn't like anyone was blocking the door, and I was looking at a 15-20 pct pay cut if I had stayed), I can counsel them that they hung on a lot longer than a lot of other people and that they should have well-considered plans for the future and should have had these plans for a good three years now. But yeah, everyone should just go on hoping that if they stick around long enough newspapers will again be a good path to a middle-class life. And then when it doesnt happen, just spend your time bitching about everyone who is preventing that from happening. Don't ever look at economics, supply and demand, or any other silly garbage like that.

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

But for those of us who have spent a significant amount of time out of work recently, it seems people should appreciate they have jobs, regardless of what they are making.

Taking a paycut to unemployment benefits means a heck of a lot more than 60 percent.

I am glad I was able to get a solid job. I hope others do, too.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And down the road, that may be the case. But when it originally happened, how would you have reacted if someone said your layoff/pay cut was not significant?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

As the main antagonist on this thread, I must point out that the original post made no mention of layoffs, and in fact said specifically that there would be no layoffs. I was responding to the wailing over a 6 percent pay cut, which is far less than the norm for the newspaper biz over the past many years.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Knowing a little about the situation and having worked in both shops in the past, I found the timing – this is the first such payroll-trimming move at these papers, as far as I can tell – a little bit peculiar.

6. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

When I first saw the name of this thread, I thought it was how the paper was struggling in light of the tornadoes. The pay cuts on one hand seem minor compared with what's going on in the state but on the other hand it seems cruel to be doing it now.

7. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

In one way or another, those of us working are glad to be employed. It doesn't mean anyone should sit back and just accept that things won't improve, whether it's waiting for some kind of rebound or looking for other opportunities. To me, I don't want the thought of "be glad you have a job" to hold me hostage. I'm always going to strive to improve my situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted